Tuesday, September 10, 2013

From Beauty Queen to Athlete



I am surprised.  I am truly surprised.  Mia is a girly girl.  She likes frill.  She likes sparkle. She likes pink.  She likes dresses, clothes, and shoes.  She likes bows and lace.  She wants her toenails painted and her hair done.  She periodically does pageants, which is very suited for her. However, I wanted her to expand her interests.  She needs to be balanced.  Mia is in enrolled in gymnastics, but in addition to the gymnastics, Mia started her first season in softball this fall.  She has such natural athletic ability.  She has strength, speed, and coordination.  I would have never suspected this to be the case, but little Princess Mia is an athlete.

 



In her uniform with her pink cleats


Getting ready to bat with her cute pink helmet



MIa has been waiting for this moment; she has gone to all of her brothers games and always wanted to be the one to get an after game snack.  She was actually very considerate and got her brother, Brandon, one too!

Her team is the Fountain Valley PowerPuff Girls.  They had their first game this past Saturday. She didn’t complain about getting dirty or sweaty in the miserable heat.  Yes, it was already scorching hot for her 9 a.m. game.  I don’t know who won or lost the game; I doubt anyone keeps score.  The girls are just learning the game.  Most of the girls cannot catch.  Throwing is another obstacle they have yet to overcome.They go through the batting line up once before they are out in the field again.  I don’t think there was one single out in the entire game. No one could catch the ball.  To be honest, the games are boring.  Not alot of action....but hey, I'm there to support my baby girl.

The girls get five pitches thrown by the coach.  If they cannot hit one of the pitches then they get to use the tee for two swings.  Almost half of the girls were able to hit off of the coach's pitches.  Mia had to get a tee.   I played softball when I was younger.  It was MY sport.  I was second baseman, and I loved the game. In fact, softball is my favorite sport to play.  Basketball is my favorite sport to watch!

 
Team Banner
 
Mia looked simply adorable out there.  Her hair was tied in a ponytail to the side.  Mia hasn’t complained about going to practice or the games.  She is enjoying the sports as much as the pageants.  A lot of practice is needed so she can learn how to catch and bat better, but there is one thing, Mia does not need to work on….her speed.  This girl needs to do track.  She is, by far, the fastest runner on the team.  They have brief running sprints, and Mia is always leading the pack by a great distance.  I sit and watch her from the stands, and proudly say, “yep, that’s my baby girl!” 

On first base running to second.  She is the FASTEST girl on the team!



Preparing to bat (notice the cute pink bat?)


What form!!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment