Saturday, September 7, 2013

Friday Night Lights With the Georgia Bulldogs



There is something special about Fall.  Many people enjoy the beginning of Fall because football season starts.  I have never been a fan of football.  I never quite learned the rules of the game so it is difficult to enjoy something you don’t quite understand.  However, what I do love about football is the entire atmosphere of the games.


Brandon flexes his muscle before the big opening day game!
 
Brandon is in his second season of flag football.  He plays under something called “Friday Night Lights”, which basically means what it implies. Games are played on Friday night.  The kids have participated in a multitude of sports, but honestly, I don’t think any of the games can compete with the enjoyment of watching the flag football games.  There are at least 10 -15 games being played simultaneously at the Costa Mesa Sports Park.  It’s full of activity, and the night air is crisp.  I actually got cold at the last game.  The lights are on; the crowds are energetic, and you are cheering your team! There are cheerleaders, and the smell of Fall. 

It is still early September so the games are being played in the light, but in a month, it will be all nighttime ball playing!
Vendor trucks also sell a variety of fattening, yet absolutely delicious foods.  Last year, I had a bite of my very first pastrami sandwich, and oh, I still think about that sandwich.  There is fresh fried donuts, shaved ice etc.  The vendors change every Friday so you don’t know who to expect at the game.
Brandon is playing under the same coach, which I think is wonderful.  For some reason, the league plays with college team names; perhaps, it is because there are too many players and teams.  Last year, Brandon was on the Harvard Crimson and this year, he is playing for the Georgia Bulldogs.  I like flag football because it does not present the same type of risk as regular football, which honestly, scares me as a mother. 



Brandon with his mouthpiece and teammates before the game


Discussing Game Plan Strategies
 This past Friday was Opening Night.  The Georgia Bulldogs lost their first game, but they put in a good fight.  I think this is going to be an even better season.  It is fun for Brandon but it is also quite fun for the rest of us. I love Friday nights!

Offensive play as Brandon tries to gain some yards.

Defense


Brandon is running with the ball


 






 
 




Brandon and Mia eating donuts and shaved ice.



 










No comments:

Post a Comment