Thursday, September 26, 2013

Everyone Should Have An Art Leahy In Their Life

 
I don’t have many friends, because frankly, most people annoy me.  However, when I do make a friend, the friendships are long-lasting, strong, and very genuine. 

There are people who come into our lives and leave  without much thought and then, there are people who come into our lives and make an everlasting change in who we are, what we think, and the direction our life is headed.

I do believe in God, and I believe in prayer. I have been employed at OCTA for 23 years. Approximately, 10+ years ago, I was a miserable wretch, and I wanted to escape, but I felt trapped and powerless in my position. I remember desperately praying to God, and guess what? God does answer prayers. He gave me Art Leahy.  
Art is currently the CEO of the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) which employs close to 10,000 people. He is an influential figure in the transportation industry. He is the epitome of the American success story. He started his career at Metro as a coach operator (another term for a bus driver) while pursuing his college degree. Shortly after graduation, he worked in Marketing and Government Relations until he gradually worked his way up the ladder to become an executive at Metro and then to eventually becoming the very top chief. He went from coach operator to running the entire organization.  This is the American dream.  I don’t think I know of any man who has attained more success than Art.  He has had and continues to have an amazing career. 

In Art's Office in L.A.
the messy office
Visiting Art in L.A.

 

He is everything I respect.  He is extremely successful, intelligent and hard-working.  He is courageous and not afraid to take a stand in what he believes in or what he feels is right.  He has a marshmallow heart (though most do not get to see this side). He cares very much about people.  He is incredibly funny...a bit of a pig.  He is amazing with children.  He is very genuine.  He is also the MOST HONEST man I have ever met in my life.  (He would use the company copier for something personal and would reimburse the company for the copying he did. )He is frugal and economically brilliant.  He doesn’t live the life of a CEO.  He lives with simplicity. He is very driven, but simultaneously, he knows that family/kids are more important.




Art's sense of humor is shown on Halloween.

I was fortunate to be his assistant for several years. Art took a chance on me. I had no experience. I applied for many internal jobs at OCTA, and I was continually rejected. Art recognized my potential, ignored the warning given by HR…”hiring authority was advised that the candidate did not meet minimum qualifications” (yes, that was actually in my personnel file) and hired me; that one act by that man changed my life.

I not only lacked experience; I also lacked confidence. Working with Art and learning from him, I began to develop a self-awareness and confidence in my abilities, my reasoning, and my sound judgment. He mentored me. He taught me so much about the business and the political environment. He supported me, challenged me, and encouraged me. Thanks to Art Leahy, I grew immeasurably in both my personal and professional life. However, most importantly, during this period, I gained a very loyal, deep, and unique friendship.
 
When Art left OCTA to become the CEO of LA Metro, I was emotionally distraught. I cried for months. (I am NOT exaggerating.) When I first learned the news, you would have thought that someone had died… that was how disturbing it was for me. In fact, even months after he left, I could not talk about him without getting teary-eyed. It was not a secret how much I adored this man. At his farewell parties, I cried in front of hundreds. In the elevator at work (after he was gone), people would ask me how I was doing without Art, and honestly, I would start to cry.  I was and am very loyal to him.  When you are the top dog of a large organization, there sometimes could be animosity on the lower level.  People just don’t understand the demands and challenges that go with leadership.  There was a time that the employees were laughing and snickering at Art over a decision he made.  It was very difficult for me, and I took their negative comments personally.  Why? Because I cared deeply for the man.  After listening to it for days, I sat at my desk in tears. Art walked by noticing I was visibly upset.  He asked me what was wrong, and in a broken voice I said, “People are laughing at you.”  I think he was flattered that I cared that much, and without any pretense whatsoever, I did and I do.





at his farewell party....you can see the tears in my eyes.
   Art and I continue to stay in touch after he left OCTA.  At times, I would call him to complain about something work-related, and he always offered me the most wisest advice. I would get upset about work and I was desperate.  He once told me that, “As long as I am employed, you will never be without a job.” He doesn’t realize it, but it was one of the sweetest, sweetest things I have ever heard.  I felt safe.   I knew if I ever needed him, he would be there for me. I may not have the power or the influence as he does, but I would, without reservation, do anything for that man as well.

Art Leahy is one of the most successful, wisest, kindest, hardest working, and brilliant men I have ever known. I am so blessed to have him as a friend.

I love you, Art. I’ve told you that many times.
 
However, have I ever told you that you have made a dramatic difference in my life, and more importantly, in who I am? I am a better person and my life is better because I met you so thank you….thank you….thank you….


I wish everyone could have someone like Art Leahy in their life.




No comments:

Post a Comment