Sunday, September 8, 2013

Cow Run - First Cross Country Meet

I am so proud of Dylan.  I start to tear because that is how proud I am of him.  He has accomplished so much this year, and one of those accomplishments include making and being on the Fountain Valley High School (FVHS) Cross Country Team.  Running is NOT an easy sport.  It requires a great amount of discipline, and frankly, it is very difficult to start.  Most people who start running hate it;  It is only after you have been running for some time that the love/passion grows.  Running is not a love at first sight sport.  Most people do not always love the actual run; its the high afterwards that is the most addictive.  You've heard of runner's high?


In his team uniform
I am a runner, and I really pushed Dylan to take up this sport. I recognized his potential, and I knew he could excel in it.  He joined the cross country camp at FVHS during the summer.  This was a physically rigorous camp.  It was Monday - Friday from 730 a.m. - 1030 a.m., which basically meant no sleeping in.  I knew most kids would drop after a week.  Dylan continued and with great discipline, he finished the camp.


The first cross country (Cow Run) meet was held on Saturday, September 6 in Cerritos. I dropped Dylan off at the high school shortly before 6 a.m. so he could catch the bus to Cerritos.  I followed two hours later and barely made it (running late)  to see an amazing race.  There were over 200+ cross country runners from all the local high schools. 


Cow Run Cross Country Meet
I'm learning about the sport and the competition, and from what I understand, they count the top 5 or 7 runners' (depending on the race) times from each school's team.  Each school has three teams: Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Freshman.  All I wanted was for Dylan's time to count, and guess what? It did.  He was the 5th runner (out of 12) for the Freshman Fountain Valley Cross Country Team.  The unofficial time was 21:22 which is much faster than I could ever run.  I suggested it should be his goal by the end of the season to run under 20 mins.  I believe he can do it.

Dylan's days are long.  He is in school from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. daily because he runs everyday after school (rain or shine or heat or cold).  Additionally, meets are every Saturday so Dylan is up at 5 a.m. on Saturday mornings.  I was concerned that he would quit, but he is really loving it.  His teammates are wonderful, and he is really having fun.  He is only going to improve.



At the start line- Dylan is embarrassed by my picture taking


And the runners are off......

Quick shot of Dylan



Dylan is in the right of the photo in blue and orange





Finishing Strong.  He looks so lean.




Finished and in the running chute

It is truly a blessing when your child does well in something, but what is the cherry on top is when your child is doing well in something you, personally, have a passion for....now, we can share this love of running.  I love going to the cross country meets.  I want to be actively involved in the team. I am signing him up for more half marathons.  I am having the time of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment