Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Most Hard Working, Dedicated, Busiest Man

I don’t pretend to know what Lance is doing on the boat.  I am not mechanical, and I do not understand the intricate technical details of the improvements he has made on the boat.   I do know he is working his a** off.     I worry that he takes on too much, and I do whatever I can to alleviate some of the demands he has, but there is only so much I can do.  I’m not here to lament because we are undeniably blessed,  but I think people don’t realize how much he is doing….I guess the reason I’m pointing this out is because I’m asking everyone to be patient with him and not be so disappointed if he is unable to fulfill a request or an invite.  He has a multitude of obligations; He doesn't want to disappoint people so he is trying to be everywhere doing everything with everyone at the same time.

 
1.     He has a very demanding job  as he is responsible for the CEO’s and Chairman of the Board’s initiatives.  He is also the lead project manager for the OCTA’s Strategic Plan.  All of his work is highly visible and is subject to the pressure of a political atmosphere and stringent deadlines.

 
2.     Lance inherited an entire family with three kids who not only love him, but need him.  He attends basketball games, baseball games, academic functions, and he spends the weekdays shuttling the kids to activities.  Moreover, he helps them learn new skills and grow as individuals.  Kids are demanding and time consuming, and these are relatively young kids still.  He also has  his adult children, Jessie, Bron, Joe, Lauren, Don; and his grandsons, Jed, Levi, and Carter.  He feels guilty for not seeing them as much as he wants…..he wants to spend more time with the kids and the grandkids, but it just seems like there isn’t enough time.  

 
3.     Lance also now has a house to maintain that demands his time.  He is constantly having home projects.  He recently renovated each of the boys rooms.  When things need to be repaired in the house, it is Lance who does the job.  The house has changed dramatically since Lance and I got married. I wish I took before and after photographs. 

 
4.     Tide the Knott is a MASSIVE  MASSIVE reconstruction project that is going to take years to complete. He is only one man, but he is ambitious, and I have no doubt he will succeed.  I try to give him as much freedom as possible to allow him to work on Tide the Knott.  It is his passion, his joy, and it is his time to get away from the stresses of me, the kids, and his job.  I know it consumes a lot of his energy, but it also makes him happy. He spends almost every weekend down in San Diego working on the boat.

 
5.      Yes, as if my husband does not have enough to do…..he decided to build his own 18-ft dingy.  He ordered plans, and the project began a few months ago.  He told me I would not have a garage for six months, but realistically, I think it might be a year or more.  The skeleton of the structure is finally coming together, but there is still so much work and I have no idea how he is going to find the time.

 
6.      I demand his time.  He is my best friend, and I love him more than he will ever know.  I love being with him and doing things with him.  My passion is running, and he has accompanied me on several races as my support team.  I need him too and I have plans for us.  I am another demand.

 
7.     We adopted two of the most amazing, neurotic dogs who are our canine children, Buddy and Bella.  These dogs are strangely attached to Lance (more so than anyone in the family), and it is very time consuming to care for these dogs.  One of the reasons why I do not go down to San Diego with Lance on the weekends is because of Bella and Buddy.  They can’t be left alone.  Bella needs someone, and if she is left alone, she will urinate all over the house because she is completely anxiety ridden and neurotic.

 
8.      Lance has friends in Texas and San Diego who often ask him to do things, and Lance has not been available as much as he was when 1-7 above were not a factor in his life.

 With that said, I wanted to share the latest photos of Tide the Knott.  Lance finally got the water system set up and we have hot and cold water in the kitchen.  He installed a new faucet which we don't have a photo of.....I am really proud of him.

 
My husband is a genius! and he is the most hard working man I have ever known.....

Engine Room Before Floor Installation

Engine room with new floor

Water System Manifold (Lance installed)
Air compressor that Lance installed
 
New Water Pressure Pump and Heater installed by Lance



1 comment:

  1. It amazes me/blows my mind what a handy man my dad is! And he certainly is deserving of a title like superman for balancing all of life's demands. I love him too!

    ReplyDelete