Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Great Brain 5K Race

I’ve always had this fear that my alarm would not ring, and I would sleep through a race.  I admit that I have even set two alarms (one as back-up) for my big races (LA Marathon).  I have been running for five years, and unfortunately, this fear finally became a reality last week. 

I signed up Mia and I for a local 5k race.  It was right in our city at Mile Square Park, and it benefited Alzheimer research.  Truthfully though, the reason I signed up was because I knew Mia had a chance place for her age category.  Most races categorize her in the 13 and younger age group. She cannot compete with 13 year olds.  The Great Brain 5k race had her in the age group of 9 and below.  She stood a fair chance of winning. 

Well, our morning started off in a panic.  My alarm did not ring, because quite honestly, I forgot to set it.  We woke up at 6:38 a.m. for a 7:00 a.m. race.  I panicked when I saw the time.  Mia and I rushed to get dress, and we rushed into the car to drive the short distance to the race.  We didn’t brush our teeth or comb our hair.   I did not get my cup of coffee. We had not even picked up our bibs.  When I parked the car, we got out and ran to the bib pick up.  We grabbed our bibs and then ran to the start line just in time to take off.

The race was small, and Mia was the only girl in her age group so naturally, she got first place.  In that circumstance, the first place medal is meaningless.  However, the medal does have significant meaning. There were several boys running the 5k and a girl who was 12.  Mia beat every kid (boy/girl) under the age of 13 who ran the race.  I was really proud of her.  She complained.  She was tired, but she continued.   

Two medals in one race


with one of our medals--before it was announced Mia placed first. 

Mia will never let me beat her.  I run ahead of her, trying to pace her. She tries to keep up, but as the finish line comes in sight, she takes off ahead of me.  She has to cross the finish line first. 

My friend told me that my kids are going to have to seek therapy because of the pressure I put on them with running.  Mia wanted a haircut, and I told her she could get one if she put in 100 percent effort in the run.  Later that day, I began to question if I was being too harsh….if I was putting my own passion into her?  I asked her, “Mia, do you want to continue running?  You don’t have to….you could stop. I won’t get upset, honey. I promise.  If you don’t really enjoy it, you don’t have to do anymore races.”  She looked at me and coyly smiled, and said, “I want to keep running.”  I asked her, “why? Is it because of the medals?” She smiled even wider and nodded.  Like all runners, Mia hates running, but she likes everything else about it.....the medals, the pre-race and post race celebration, the runner's high you get.  You get addicted to all those things. 

Not only did she wake up at 6:38 to run 3 miles, but she played two softball games in the hot sun that afternoon.  She is a fierce athlete.




Three more weeks, and the kids and I are running the Long Beach 5k, which runs through the Aquarium of the Pacific. Another race and another medal for my girl.....

No comments:

Post a Comment