Thursday, September 10, 2015

2015 Labor Day Weekend Recap

Happenings over the Labor Day Weekend:

Conquer the Bridge Race

The last two weeks in Southern California have been unusually and unbearably hot and humid.  Today, it is currently 96 degrees.  Ugh.  What happened to the great California weather? Over Labor Day weekend, I scheduled the family for another race; “Conquer the Bridge” is a 5.3 mile race that crosses over the Vincent Thomas Bridge in the San Pedro Harbor/Port of Los Angeles.  The Vincent Thomas Bridge is the 4th largest suspension bridge in California.  I notice it because of its green color.

Vincent Thomas Bridge
Dylan and I ran this race back in 2010.  It was Dylan’s first race.  I have not done the race since because medals were not given.  It wasn’t until recently that they started to give out the ‘bling’. I admit.  I’m pretty terrible about it.  I refuse to do a race that offers no bling at the end.  There is a race I would love to do that runs across the Coronado Bridge, but they don’t give out medals, which means---yep, you guess it. This girl isn’t running it. 

The Vincent Thomas Bridge never shuts down except one day a year (Labor Day morning) to allow runners to cross it.   It was the worst weather to run in, and there was only one water stop during the entire race.  Dylan ran solo while I ran alongside Brandon.  Mia and Lance did the 5.3 miles together. Brandon finished in 1:03 placing 15th out of 56 runners in his age group of 10 – 13 year olds.  It isn’t the best time, but considering the heat, he did extraordinary. He complained the entire way about how hot it was, how he needed water, and yes, let’s not forget….how his feet felt like knives every time he ran.    It was probably in the high 80s at 8 a.m.  Mia and Lance walked the entire course.  Mia told Lance, “I like running with you better because you let me walk.  Mommy gets mad if I walk.” 

Mia and Lance on top of the bridge

View of the Port of Los Angeles

Is that walking, I see????!!!!!!!!

I love this photo of Brandon 'conquering the bridge'.  It is a steady climb up. 



Family selfie with the bling!

Another family run completed.  Look how thin Lance looks! He has lost 20 lbs
After finishing and waiting for what seemed forever, I called Lance, wondering where they were.  He told me when his phone rang, Mia asked, “Is that Mommy?”  Lance nodded.  Mia continued, “She is going to be mad at us because we are walking.”  We were supposed to tour the USS Iowa after the race, but we were just too hot to do anything so we went to Stonefire Grill for a late breakfast.  It’s a tradition with us. After a run, we go eat.  When we returned home later, I asked the family, “Who wants to do a Starbucks run?”  I was craving a green tea Frappucino.  Mia replies, “Is there a medal?” I guess I have the girl trained properly. 

Mia is scheduled to do another 5k race this weekend within our city to support the Orange County Alzheimer Association.  She has a great chance of placing in her age group (9 and below) and winning another medal.  Normally, she runs, she is placed  in a  group of 13 years old and below, and she simply cannot compete with 12 and 13 year olds.

I like doing these races with the family.  Lance said he loved the race, walking on the bridge and being over the water.  He would definitely do it again next year. 

Visit from Leroy and Family

On Saturday morning, I received a message from my sister, Yvette, asking if I was joining them for lunch when my brother Leroy visits.  I was very surprised.  For some peculiar reason, I do not receive group text messages from my brother so though he tried to communicate to me, I had no clue he was coming.  Fortunately, I had nothing major planned and was very happy to spend a few days with him, my sister-in-law Masha, and my three nephews Aiden, Thomas, and Oliver. 

Aiden is very skilled soccer player.  He comes to California annually to participate in a soccer camp, but this year, he made another visit to California because he is in a travel team.  They were competing in a tournament in Huntington Beach for the weekend.   We went to watch him play, and ugh! HORRIBLE HEAT, but I loved watching him, and I was actually getting into the game.  His team unfortunately lost all three games.   Mia now wants to play soccer.  Normally, she is in yearlong softball, but perhaps next fall, she can do a season of soccer.  We went to eat Pho for lunch, which reminded me of my parents.  If they were alive, we would have all gotten together for a nice bowl of Pho (even in the heat).  I got to cuddle with Thomas who is now 5. Oliver didn’t want to have anything to do with me, but I was able to steal a few kisses here and there. 

at the sports complex watching Aiden's soccer game--a selfie with my two little nephews


Three cousins who are within three months of age of each other...as infants and as 10 year olds. 

The Fellows-Tran grandchildren

Pho for lunch


It was great seeing them.  Hopefully, we can get out to Vegas next Spring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment