Friday, October 2, 2015

Catch Up

 I am E X H A U S T E D!  I just want to crawl into bed and spend a weekend doing absolutely nothing.  The stress of the last few days has been overwhelming, and it has finally affected me physically.  Here is a brief synopsis of the last few weeks.

Medical Issues

Mia has been diagnosed with two consecutive UTIs after receiving antibiotic treatment.  I had to take her to the hospital to get an ultrasound.  Fortunately, her kidneys looked fine, but there was some concern that her bladder wall was thickened. Additionally, the doctors were concerned that Mia may have vesicoureteral reflux.  This is a condition where the urine flows backwards from the bladder to the kidney.  She had to return to the hospital for a cystourethrogram.  This is a procedure where they insert a catheter and insert dye to take x-rays.  I had read that it could be traumatizing for both the mother and child.  In fact, when we arrived at the hospital, the nurse had a very sympathetic and concerned expression as she explained to me what they were about to do.  She told me that I could stop at anytime if it became too much.  I sat with Mia during the entire procedure.  I tried to divert her attention to Halloween and our trip to Baskin Robins after she was done.  I also played a game with her.  My poor little baby did amazing.  The nurse said she is probably the best pediatric patient to undergo this procedure that she ever had.  Mia hardly complained. She laid still as the doctors tried to place the catheter in.  The nurse made the mistake of inserting it into the wrong hole twice.  They ended up calling a pediatric nurse over to do it, and finally, on the third attempt, it was done correctly.  The radiologist said she looked normal, which is a welcome relief.  I won’t know the official results until next week.   With the infections and the procedures, I feel like I’m at the doctors’ office weekly.

one of many doctor visits in the last few months. 

Extracurricular Activities

Tuesday through Saturday, we have an activity every day, and sometimes two.  We divided it up so that Lance handles Brandon’s basketball on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I am responsible for Mia’s softball on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.  I also take Brandon to basketball on Saturdays.  Tell me why then, with this schedule, did I register Mia for cheerleading?  Am I crazy?  Yes, I am and yes, I did.  Mia is now in cheerleading on Fridays before softball begins.  Dylan has been working on the weekends, and last weekend, his shifts ended at 1130 p.m.  I had to pick him up on those nights from work, and my sleep became totally disrupted.  Lance accuses me of babying Dylan and wants me to have him bicycle home. I’m not worried that he is going to get attacked, but I am worried that he may get hit by a car.  There have been many cyclists killed by cars here.  One of Dylan’s classmates at the high-school was hit and killed. It's also on Friday and Saturday nights where you have so many drunk drivers.  Maybe I'm being too protective, but I'm ok with that. 



Learners’ Permit

I took Dylan to the DMV for his learners’ permit.  I sat impatiently and anxiously waiting for him to take the test.  It had been some time since he took the online course so I was uncertain as to how much information he retained, but I’m so happy to report that he passed.  Dylan is now able to get behind the wheel.  I’m a little nervous about that, and I only had him drive in our neighborhood.  I don’t think I’m the proper person to teach him.  I fear I’ll be too nervous.  He has to have his learners’ permit for six months before he is able to take the behind-the-wheel test.



Wedding Bells

Lance’s employee, Maryam, got married, and we were able to attend their very elegant wedding at the Viceroy in Santa Monica.  She was born in Iran but raised in the United States.  The ceremony was  beautiful even though I didn’t understand a word.   The food was incredibly divine.   She looked amazing as well.  Lance purchased two new suits.  He actually did not have a suit so this was a much needed purchase.  He looked so handsome. 

Lance and the beautiful bride, Maryam.





Run4Hope

One of the largest businesses in Fountain Valley is the Hyundai Corporation. The headquarters is so close to my house.  They organize an annual 5k/10k race.  I registered myself since it was the closest a race could possibly be to my home.  There were only 58 participants in the 10k race. The 5k race had over 300.  I ran it in an official time of 1:05, which is basically a 9:40 min per mile pace.  This was the first race that I did without any kids and that was not a mud run.  I was curious to see my time, and though it is nothing to be impressed about, I’m glad I now have an official 10k time.  I pushed myself towards the ends, and when I crossed the finish line, I was about to vomit.   I will be running the Long Beach Half Marathon next weekend.  Ugh. Not prepared.


I'm in the pink taking off at the start line.


Making Room for More

My sister lives in a townhouse in Tiburon (same complex as me).  She has been renting her townhouse for six years.  It was the house that my mom passed away in.  She received news in the late summer that the owner of the townhouse was going to put the townhouse up for sale, which meant Yvette needed to move by October 1.  Yvette asked if she could temporarily live with us.  She moved in this past Sunday.  Her family is staying in Dylan’s room.  There is a lot of us (9 people and three dogs) in one house, but it is what families are for.  The kids absolutely adore the idea of having their cousins live with them.  They are a little bit over hyper, and I’m hoping it will calm down as the novelty begins to wear off.  They will be living with us until possibly next June.

Lice Invasion

Two days ago, Mia’s teacher approached my sister after school to inform her that she believed Mia had lice.  I received a phone call from Yvette that afternoon.  I had never had any experience with lice. I had no idea what to do.  Yvette also told me that Mia would not be allowed to return to school until she had clearance. What did that mean? Clearance from who? A doctor?  My first reaction was to schedule an immediate same-day appointment.  I left work to go get Mia.  While Lance was driving home, I began to google “lice treatment”, and I found a local salon. We immediately went there and they were able to see/treat her.  I never knew these places existed.  It was salon exclusively for lice removal.  Mia had a severe case.  They estimated she had about 2,000 – 3,000 lice on her.  They also checked me, and I had it mildly.  They began treating both of us.  I was done in an hour.  Mia’s treatment took three hours, and this was three hours of continual and constant work by a technician.  Lance went home and began to clean the linens etc. Because Mia and I were both infected, everyone in my family and my sister’s family had to be checked.  The following day they were checked, and basically 7 of 9 of us had lice.  It cost a whopping $1,000 to  have all seven of us to be treated. We purchased some extra shampoos and sprays to prevent reinfestation.  I was simply exhausted trying to handle this.  However, the lice salon experience was actually pleasant.  They treated us really well.  They even offered me a glass of wine.  Mia had a kindle. She was offered snacks, juice. There were ample magazines and music.  You really felt like you were in a 'real' salon. 

Mia gets treated. 


Cruise the Bay

Lance and I were able to take one afternoon cruising Newport Beach Bay.  We took Buddy and Bella and little Mia along.  My daughter is an amazing little girl who can be 100 percent girl but who also has such an adventurous spirit. I don’t think there is anything she isn’t willing to try and do.  She never complains and is always up for anything.  Lance even commented on how fun she is to be around.  He took her out on the dinghy one day alone, and he said he had the greatest time with her. She was easy going and fun.




Lance bought a cover for the truck bed.  We love it.  





Bella is more interested in food than anything else. 



  
We leave for India in 6.5 weeks, and I am simply too tired to go on a vacation.  Yes, a vacation is where you relax and get reenergized is not the vacation I planned.  We will be working at the elephant sanctuary, and I have a half marathon to run.  Lance is against me running the half marathon because it is an inconvenience to our travel schedule.  After traveling for 23 hours, I need to go pick up a bib, but after we pick up the bib, we could sleep for 15 hours or so.  He is also concerned about the air pollution in Delhi, which we learned is either equal or worse than Beijing so yes, I'm getting an air pollution mask.  Lance accused me of being completely stubborn, and he is right.  I am stubborn, and don't get in my f-ing way.  I am doing it.  The opportunity to run a race in another country will probably never happen again, and it is just a half marathon. Not a big deal. 

Somehow, someway, I will manage to get some rest before the vacation. 


1 comment:

  1. Holy cow. You have been BUSY!!! Poor Mia. Infections AND lice?! What a pain. And congrats to Dylan! I think your trip to India will bring out even more energy in you. Can't wait to hear all about it soon.

    ReplyDelete