Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Hitting the Jackpot!!

sweet photo of Lance doing Mia's hair

Blended families do work.  In fact, they can work even better or more beautifully than ‘original’ families.  I don’t like the word step, because in some instances (not all), it infers a secondary role, and with Lance, he doesn't take a back seat.

Lance is so involved in the day-to-day activities of Dylan, Brandon, and Mia.  He attends their Back to School nights and parent/teacher conferences.  He attends their sport activities.  He even coaches their basketball team.  When Dylan couldn’t coach, Lance committed time to being head coach so Dylan could have the opportunity.  He spends time with them.  He teaches them values. He has taken the time to tutor Dylan with math.  He attends their awards ceremonies at school.   He disciplines them, which is not an easy task, because who wants to be the ‘bad guy?’  There are times, I admit,  that we disagree in our parenting techniques.   We have had some arguments, but overall, I think we are almost always on the same or close to the same page.  Our family is not perfect, but I absolutely love it.

Pushing little Brandon on the swing.

Lance has run many 5ks to support Mia

horsing around with Dylan

swim time

I oftentimes overhear Lance talking to others, and when he references Dylan, Brandon, or even Mia, he does not say, “my stepson or stepdaughter….” He simply says, “my son or my daughter”.  He knowingly removes the word ‘step’.  He doesn't think I notice but I do, and I don't think he realizes that when he does that, it's making a huge statement...not only to me, but to these kids.  He treats these kids like they are his own. He supports them financially, spiritually, and emotionally.  Every action he does may not always be perfect but it is the actions of a full parent.  No grey lines.  He is 100 percent committed to those kids.
 
I remember attending Dylan’s 8th grade IEP meeting.  There were several of Dylan’s teachers at the meeting, and after they learned that we had only been married a few years, they expressed their surprise and began telling Lance that Dylan talks incessantly about him.  They commented that he really looks up to Lance.  It surprised Lance, but in my opinion, it only defines and reconfirms what a great parent he is.

The kids spend Father’s Day with their dad, and there isn't anywhere else they should be.  We had our Father's Day celebration to honor Lance the weekend before.  We took Lance out to Buca Di Pepo and feasted on Italian entrees.  Of course during the meal, I embarrassed Lance and the kids by making them each say something to him.  We take turns at the table, and they (all four of them-including Lance) immediately start groaning and saying, “do we have to?” And yes, they have to because it is so important to tell each other how we much love, appreciate, and value one another.  Dylan started followed by Brandon and Mia while Lance listened with discomfort to each of their loving comments. 

 




the GIANT brownie sundae



The following weekend was Father’s Day so when Lance returned home from San Diego, I had a candlelight dinner waiting for him. I could NOT do nothing on Father's Day.  I ordered Mexican food to go.  I bought him some wine.  Fortunately, I chose a good wine.  Having me buy wine is like having a blind man pick out paint colors.  We had lemon cake and his favorite ice cream for dessert.  Lance received a pair of brown shoes for work and a very nice hiking, trail running, water proof shoes.  I hope he felt appreciated, because he deserves nothing less. 

 

Father's Day Dinner


Lance's new waterproof trail/hiking shoe


When I married Lance, I was so swept away by him.  I fell deeply in love with him, and every moment we are together, I fall more in love with him.  He is a great husband and a truly AMAZING 'dad' to my kids.  He gives so much of his time, energy, and his self to us.  My kids are lucky. They have two Dads.  We hit the jackpot when he became a part of our family!
 
Happy Father's Day, Lance.  Thank you for all you do for our family.  We love you unconditionally.
 
It is strange to not have my Dad here on Father's Day.  I was driving in the car on Father's Day when the song A Thousand Years came on, and I just started crying uncontrollably.  I miss him, and I would give anything to hold him one more time.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Your first father's day without your dad...I can't imagine. I love my daddeo! He really is a good one. He's one of the few people on this earth I feel that I can tell anything to. He's adventurous, smart, funny, loving, and generous. I'm glad he has you, Liz!

    ReplyDelete