Thursday, June 11, 2015

A New Job


After a lengthy recruitment process, Dylan is now officially an employee of the City of Fountain Valley.  He is a Recreation Leader I.  In this capacity, Dylan will help manage and implement  the city’s recreation programs. 
 
Several weeks ago, with my guidance, he completed an online application.  I tried to prepare him for the interview by giving him some sample questions.  Dylan was interviewed by a panel, and I was so surprised at the quality of his responses.  None of the questions I quizzed him on were asked so he was left to his own resources, and his answers were well thought out.  Following the interview, they called each of his references.  He then had to go through a pre-employment screening that included a TB test and a criminal background check.  After several weeks, he was officially offered the position.  This is a GREAT job for a high-school student because it is with the city.   No fast food or retail work.  Additionally, there is such room for growth within the city should he decide to pursue other areas while in college. 

He had to go to the city’s HR department to provide information, and Dylan called frantically asking me for his social security number.  I told him I did not know it.  He has me on the phone and I overhear him talking to the HR representative.  He asks her, “I don’t have it. Can I give you my mom’s?”  I just started laughing when I heard this because it reconfirms how ignorant he is in daily life and also how truly young he is…..The lady looked up at him in disbelief and said, “No.” 

After he was hired, we went directly to Chase to open up a checking account.  Dylan has had a savings account since birth, but not a checking.  He was so excited to have his own checking account that also included a debit/mastercard and checks.  His naivety showed again when he said to me and the bank lady, “I’m going to take a photo of my card and send it to my friends.”  We both quickly said, “No!”  He doesn’t realize the consequences of identity theft.
 
Lastly, I am taking 20 percent of his wages effective with his first check to begin depositing them into a Roth IRA.  Yes, I opened him up a ROTH IRA account.  I wish someone would have shared with me the importance of compounding interest at a young age.  Dylan will be making monthly deposits into his ROTH IRA.  It is never too early to plan.

My boy is growing up.  He has so much to learn, but he is slowly becoming an independent young man.  His first official start day is today.  I can’t believe it.  It is also his last day of school.  I wanted to take a photo to commemorate it, but he was irritated and grunted, “no.’ 
 
He has a job and IRA account before his 16th birthday.  I am proud of him.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. That's an awesome job for a kid his age! And I think I need you to do a little of my financing for me ;) Nobody informed me of anything growing up! Dylan's lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete