Monday, June 1, 2015

A Visit From Jess


It must be very difficult for Lance.  I know my kids are still young, but I dread the day that they grow up and potentially relocate to other states.  As a mom, my preference would be to have all my children and grandchildren within a short drive from me.  I sympathize that Lance does not have this.  If he is lucky, he may see his children and grandchildren once or twice a year.  It is hardly enough.  I try very hard to  arrange and plan as many visits as possible. 

Lance’s eldest daughter Jessie and the family came to visit us over Memorial Day weekend.  We had seen them less than a year ago when Lance and I traveled to Idaho in August.  For the long weekend, our house was filled with the exuberant giggles of our grandsons.   They arrived on Wednesday afternoon in San Diego. We didn’t see them until Thursday night when they came to Orange County. 

On Friday, Lance took them out on the dinghy, cruising Newport Beach bay.  They found some caves and just had a great time exploring.  I was unable to attend because their is a weight restriction on the dinghy.  It just can’t accommodate that many people.   The weather was cloudy. In fact, for S. Cal, the weather was just a bit gloomy and not quite so warm all weekend.  We spent Friday afternoon at Gisler Elementary School.  We played a game of Pig, which I won.  Yes, it is all about winning.  Jessie, Bron, and Mia rode bikes to Gisler.  The boys played with a remote control car all over the blacktop while Lance showed Bron his drone.


 
 
Brandon likes playing big brother.  He was really good with Levi and Jed.
 

On Saturday, I purchased tickets for all of us to go to Medieval times.  I know we are only a few miles from Medieval Times, but ashamedly, this was my kids’ first visit to the castle.  We got to eat a mediocre meal of chicken, corn on the cob, potatoes and soup as true knights and ladies of the court.  No utensils—just our hands.  We wore paper crowns and rooted for our yellow and red knight.  Unfortunately, our knight lost and was slain by another knight in a brave battle.  Medieval Times is a great place for the family.  There are sword fight battles, jousting, a king, a princess, knights, falcons, and squires and wenches.  I would glance over at Levi as he watched the show in utter amazement.  My friend’s daughter works at Medieval Times as the Princess.  She gave recognition to Mia and us during the meal.  Mia’s face lit up.




having fun with hats

a mediocre dinner of chicken




 
On Sunday, we opted out of going to the beach with Jessie and the kids.  They left for a few hours.  In the evening, we spent some quality time talking in the patio over a fire pit.  For me, I enjoy those conversations where I get to learn more about them.  We also spent a few nights watching cartoons with both Jed and Levi in our bed.  It was fun cuddling next to them and watching Paw Patrol and Batman.

creating memories- watching cartoons on Saturday morning.

Jed was so exhausted that he fell asleep on Commander's big belly.
 

Bron and I woke up very early Monday morning to commute to Laguna Hills for a Memorial Day race.  I didn’t realize this, and it was something unitentionally planned, but ever since I have been with Lance and each time Jessie visits, we have always done a race.  The first year was the Spartan Race followed by the OC Half Marathon, America’s Finest City Half Marathon, and now the Laguna Hills Memorial Day Race. I guess we unknowingly started a tradition, which now makes me eager to keep it up.  Bron did the 10k while I ran the very hilly half marathon.  I love this race!  You run towards Aliso Viejo Wilderness Park, and it is just incredibly beautiful.  There are so many beautiful places in So. Cal that I have yet to explore. Moreover, each year, the race recognizes one of the armed services.  Last year was the Marines.  This year was the Navy.   I felt a special connection because of Lance’s service.  I bought each of us Navy shirts for the race.  When I run, and I see all the flags carried by other runners, I feel such a strong sense of patriotism.  I love my country very deeply.
 
Bron and I at the start line.
 

I completed the half marathon in 2:18:36 with an average per mile pace of 10:35.  I did as I expected, but I only ran once in about a month and that was just 3 miles.  Lance says I’m able to continue doing half marathons without devoting much time to running because I work out routinely.  I just don’t run.  He is right. 

Jessie and Lance arrived to the race later because  Jed and Levi were doing their first race.  Jed ran ½ mile while Levi did the Diaper Dash.  I missed on seeing Jed run, but I was able to see the very confused Levi run holding Lance’s hands.  The poor kid seemed perplexed at the chaos and all the adults screaming with enthusiasm.  Both boys received a medal, and I was very happy to celebrate their achievement.

representing the US Navy

Jed and Levi with their first running medal!

Levi shows off that medal.


Love this photo with that giant flag, standing with two veterans.
 
Shortly after the race, it was time to say our farewells.  I almost started crying when I said bye to the boys.   They are truly such adorable, loving boys.  I’m going to miss them.  When Lance gave Jessie a hug, I saw tears in his eyes, which I know prompted her to tear up.  Lance is very sensitive and loving, and he tries very hard to conceal this tenderness.  He may come across as the rough Texas, military man, but honestly, he is one of the most sensitive men I have ever known, and truly, it is why I fell in love with him.  He will be the first to adamantly deny it, but it is one of his most beautiful traits.

 Hopefully, we will get to see Bron, Jessie, and our boys soon!  We love them dearly!

No comments:

Post a Comment