Thursday, June 18, 2015

A Date with My Husband: Hike to the Hollywood Sign and a Wedding


Lance often refers to So. Cal as a concrete jungle, and though he is right in many regards, there are also many, many nearby places to hike and explore. I’ve always wanted to hike up to the Hollywood sign, but I’ve been reluctant.  There are so many trails, and many of these trails have turns that could lead you on a detour far from the sign.  When I learned there was an 8 mile run to the Hollywood sign, I quickly signed myself up.  I then called Lance to see if he was interested and surprisingly, he said yes.
 
This was a small YMCA sponsored race.  I’m becoming increasingly attracted to the smaller races.  It’s so much easier logistically.  The race started at the old LA Zoo. We were able to see the old bear dens, which was actually quite cool.   
 
at the start
 

At the start line


at the old LA Zoo--start line


Old LA ZOO
 
It was brisk in the morning with light sprinkles.  Some of our running buddies also joined us, but of course, they ran the challenging course.  We did more of a hike, and let me tell you, this was not easy.   It was a steep climb.  It was 4 miles to the top and a four mile return back to the start line.  Not only did we have some amazing views, we were able to talk, take photos, and just enjoy the air and scenery.  I finally (for the first time) was able to use my water camel back pack that Lance gave me for Christmas. 
 
My camel backpack.  Good for hikes--not so good for running


Of course, the hike was not without complaints.  Lance started to complain, which quite honestly, stresses me out.  Being around someone who is not having a good time frankly ruins your time, but he got over it at mile 4.  Thank goodness!   When we reached the top and the turnaround, I was excited to see that giant Hollywood sign, but ugh….what a disappointment!  Clouds completely covered the sign. We stood there waiting for ten minutes—hopeful that the clouds would disperse, but again, we were disappointed. We did get a glimpse of the “O” and the “D”.  Though climbing to the sign was on my bucket list and though technically I did do it, I still don’t feel that I can cross it off my list.  Basically, we are doing this again next year. In the midst of the physical anguish of the hike, Lance complained but when it was all over, he really enjoyed himself and admitted that we should do this more often.  In fact, he wants to do it again next year.  They did give out medals.  They weren't 'great', but hey, any medal is better than no medal at all.


along the trail


I love my selfie stick.  haha.



We met up with our friends. We were still hiking up and they were running back. 

One more mile to go

At the finish line showing off our medals.

Later that evening, we attended the wedding reception of our good friend Delia.  Several of our running buddies who did the Hollywood sign run also attended the wedding.  We had such a great time, and most importantly, Lance danced, and he danced A LOT.  He slowed danced with me and he fast danced with me.  I absolutely love to dance so it was nice being able to dance with my husband.  A real rare treat! It was such a perfect day. 
 
Posing with the new bride, Delia.  This is our old Napa Valley Running Van minus one guy. 



ladies from work

 

No comments:

Post a Comment