Thursday, July 9, 2015

July 4th 2015-Holiday Weekend



July 4th was relatively quiet for us.  The kids opted to celebrate with their dad this year.  He lives in a city that allows fireworks.  He also lives within a mile from Knotts Berry Farm, and they have a spectacular firework show.  They spend the day with family and neighbors having a BBQ, playing volleyball, and sitting by a fire pit. In fact, Dylan told me he stayed up all night.

Our (Lance and I) original plan was to spend four days on Tide the Knott, but we changed our minds and chose to stay at home because we were concerned about Buddy and Bella.  Tide the Knott is in the perfect spot to watch fireworks, but last year, Lance had a horrible time trying to contain Buddy who was ready to jump overboard.  Lance said, “It was the longest 20 minutes of my life.”  Buddy was so frightened.

We had a four-day weekend, and Lance spent the first two days on the boat.  I stayed at home and took the kids swimming; I was able to get some fantastic underwater shots of the kids with our new camera (this was the camera I bought for the Camp Pendleton Mud Run).  The kids went to their Dad’s on Saturday, and Lance returned home Friday night.










We had a mellow 4th with just a small BBQ for just the four of us (yes, I include our babies Buddy and Bella).  We rented videos and didn’t do much.  We realized though that we did make the right decision about staying at home.  For three days, we had to deal with Buddy. Bella was surprisingly calm during the fireworks, but Buddy panicked each night.  Yes, people started the 4th of July celebrations on Friday, and it continued until Sunday.  We gave him three Benadryls and a Xanax each night. He finally called down.  He was pacing, crying, and huffing uncontrollably.  It was stressful.  It was like dealing with a colicky baby.
 
Sunday morning, we took the dogs out for a ride on the dinghy.  They absolutely love being on and in the water.  We packed a picnic lunch and spent several hours cruising around Newport Beach bay.  It was a perfect day.

 





Balboa Island


Do you see Buddy out there?

a house with your own private beach.--wow

Sea Lion

Lance and I have joined a six-week Biggest Loser competition at work.  We have been really good.  When I went shopping, I refrained from buying “junk” food.  I spent every day of that four-day weekend at the gym.  I admit that I go through the same cycle every year.  Late summer, I get into incredible shape because I’m preparing for my marathon training.  My marathon training begins, and I’m feeling great.  Once the marathon is done, I resort to an old bad habit of eating everything in sight, and then the weight creeps back so by summer, I’m at my heaviest until again, (late summer) I start pre-training.   We both recognize though that we do need to eat healthier. I know what that entails, but honestly, it does require effort.  It is so much easier and faster to eat junk.  But, we are trying….

Healthy July 4th BBQ with lean meat and veggies

No comments:

Post a Comment