Monday, November 25, 2013

The Dinghy


I have not had a garage in a year, which is incredibly inconvenient because parking in my townhouse complex is a challenge.  Lance wanted to build a dinghy.  He ordered the plans, and he promised me I would be without a garage for only a short time (few months).  However, a man with his schedule demands does not have the luxury of time.  The idea of building a dinghy, however noble, was just not very realistic.  He did build the frame, but it sat without any progression in my garage for many many months.  Finally, he decided to just buy a dinghy.  He purchased the dinghy and had it customized to fit our needs/wants.  The dinghy arrived on Monday, November 18, and it is just perfect. 
 
Lanced picked up the dingy during lunch so we had to park it in the adjacent mall parking lot until we got off of work.


Picking it up.

Lance took this photo.  B-O-R-I-N-G!!  but I guess it is interesting to a guy.
 
Like a child, Lance was excited to take it out on a ride.  He modified his weekend plans so that he could take the dingy out on its maiden voyage.  Lance was scheduled to spend the entire weekend in San Diego working on Tide the Knott, but instead, he just did a one-day trip to San Diego. 
 
On a very cold and rainy Friday, Lance, Brandon, and Bella took the dingy out in Newport Beach bay.  Unfortunately, I was not there to immortalize the outing in photographs.

The dingy went on its second voyage on Sunday, November 24.  It was intended to be a romantic rendezvous for Lance and I.  Well, that is how he tried to sell me the idea, but what was supposed to be romantic and sweet was stressful.  Why? We had the dogs.  Buddy and Bella were like two little toddlers.  They barked.  They wanted to swim so badly.  The walked up and down the dinghy and would not just sit and enjoy the ride.  They panted incessantly on the trip, and I had to try to hold Buddy with a leash for fear he would just jump in.
 

At Back Bay in Newport Beach about to launch the boat

Bella and Buddy
 


 

 





Because the dogs were basically acting like untrained dogs, Lance got very angry and yelled at the dogs, which in turn made me upset.  Later that night, he felt guilty.  I think he does recognize that he is problem.  He allows these dogs to do whatever they want, whenever they want it, and then he wants them to suddenly behave.  It is not going to happen.  The dogs don’t get  to do these things that often so they are like little children who cannot contain their excitement.  Our dogs may be obnoxious, but we love them and they are OUR dogs.  They both LOVE, and let me say this again…LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the water.  They can swim endlessly. 




 

During the excursion, I did not quite enjoy myself, but reflecting back on it, I did love seeing our babies so happy.  They deserve to be happy.  And yes, I would do it again WITH the dogs. 

There are so many uncharted areas (to us) in Southern California, and I know it is unrealistic to say we can do this every weekend, but ideally, if we could try to get out on the dinghy monthly and always try for a new spot….I think it would be doable.

Lance complains often about California, and you know, he does have some valid complaints, but on days like yesterday….going through the back bay of Newport Beach, I could not imagine living anywhere else.  I love my state, even with its population, high-cost of living, traffic, and political issues.  You have the ocean, the coastline, the beach, the mountains, the redwoods, Yosemite, the desert, and the beautiful weather!!  Why is it so costly to live in Southern California? Everyone wants to live here, and there has to be reasons why....It's probably the most beautiful state in the nation. 




So what is the name of the new dinghy?  Yeah, I suggested, in my feminine demeanor, something romantic to express his love for me.  Lance, of course, willingly obliged because he simply does everything he can to make me happy, but the truth about love is that each should always be willing to do for the other.  I called my sweet husband up and told him he had my permission and blessing to name the boat, “The Gryphon”.  I could hear the happiness in his voice as he replied, “really?  You don’t mind? I really wanted to name it the Gryphon.”  I answered, “Of course, I don’t mind.  I want you to be happy.  You deserve to be happy.  Plus, unlike others, I actually have an identity.  I don’t need a boat named after me.” 
 
So there you have it…..the dinghy is now “the Gryphon”.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for the Gryphon! And that engine pic was totally necessary. It looks like a fun little boat!

    ReplyDelete