Thursday, November 14, 2013

2013 Surf City 10

Running is an individual sport during the actual race, but it is also a sport that encourages team spirit, support, and encouragement.  We have a great group of runners that we work with, and we have done a multitude of races together that often involve us traveling and vacationing together. We have traveled to Los Angeles, San Diego, Napa Valley, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Arizona, and the Florida Keys.  I love these people dearly.  They are amazing and inspiring.  We try to always get a group together so that we can carpool to a race, be at the start line together and meet at the finish line together. We cheer each other on, and we congratulate each other at the conclusion of the race.  It just makes the entire event fun.  We all run at different paces so each person runs the race alone, but we always start and meet at the finish together.
 
On Sunday, October 27, a group of us participated in the Surf City 10, which is basically at 10-mile race. There is also a 10k race included in the day’s activities.  The 10-mile race is the perfect distance for me.  I usually run out of gas at about the 10 mile mark.  Dylan and Lance opted to do the 10k.  Lance had not run  at all. He was  in poor shape, and I was not expecting him to get out and run 6.2 miles, but I wanted him to get out, and if he had to, walk the entire distance.  Some activity was better than nothing.  I wanted him to get motivated and I thought this race would help light the fire.

Look at how awesome we are!!!


I am very proud that Lance did finish.  He did a walk/run, and he crossed the finish line. I’m very proud of him.  Dylan, of course, is just getting ridiculously faster.  He finished in 54 mins which is probably an 8:45 mile pace.

It was great to do this with such a large group. We all went to breakfast afterwards.  I just feel an amazing connection and I’m happy to be a party of the OCTA running team!

Showing off our surfboard medals

Lance before the race--cannot miss him with this bright shirt

Dylan before the race
 

No comments:

Post a Comment