Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween 2013

Halloween is one of the most fun holidays, but it also can be a bit hectic as you rush to get off work to get dinner and the kids ready for a night of trick-or-treating. 

The organization that Lance and I work at has a tradition that really gets adults excited about Halloween.  We are in a 12 story building and every year, each floor decorates their main conference room in some theme. There are young children between the ages of 3-5 years old that come to visit our offices.  This year, my floor did a carnival theme so I was able to dress in a brightly colored costume.  I got mistaken for Niki Minaj. 





This was the first year that Dylan opted out of trick-or-treating.  I think age 13 is the appropriate cut off year, but strangely, I’m seeing more and more teenagers trick-or treating.  Even though Dylan did not get to participate in the traditional Halloween celebration of trick-or-treating, he did get to assist Uncle Mike in working the annual haunted house they do.  Halloween is Mike’s favorite holiday, and he goes all out in creating a very scary haunted house.
 
So who did we have visit our house this year?  Well, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz dropped by with her little Toto in tow.  There were also two frightening creatures:  a skeleton and a one-eyed monster.  There was also Little Red Riding Hood and a gypsy.  The big bad wolf also made a very brief appearance.  Brandon changed in/out of his costume because he could not quite make up his mind on what he wanted to be.   He started off as a skeleton only to change into a wolf and then back again into the skeleton.  Sheesh!


a scary werewolf howling.....

Little Red Riding Hood with the Wolf...

Costumes....costumes...costumes...

A gypsy and one-eyed monster


Mia and I with our matching costumes.  Last year, we were both bees and this year, we are Dorothy.  I don't know how long she will like the idea of matching costumes, but she loves it now.

 My sister and me.


A little slutty Dorothy.....my red super high heeled pumps.

Our usual tradition for Halloween is to order pizza.  The kids then go trick-or-treating with their Aunt and cousins for an hour and then I take them for another hour or so.  This year, they stayed with their aunt and cousins the entire time.  Joe and Karmen stopped by in the evening to celebrate the holiday with us.
 
Bella even dressed as a cheerleader. Buddy was suppose to be a football player, but because of his leg, he could not easily get into his costume.

 

The day before Halloween, we carved pumpkins.  I think this was our best year yet!  Usually, we do not have a template, and we just carve free hand.  The pumpkins are nothing spectacular, but this year, we had some awesome jack-o-lanterns. In fact, I overheard several trick-or-treaters comment on how "cool" they looked. 

I tried to have a contest for who made the best jack-o-lantern.  It was not such a good idea, because the kids got their feelings hurt so we quickly scratched that off.  I'm proud of them though.  They all did a great job. 




Cat by Mia and Mommy, Cyclops by Dylan, and Vampire by Brandon and Commander

In all honesty, I was a little down, and it was difficult to be excited as my mind was distracted from the comments made by Mia’s 1st Grade teacher.  I had a parent/teacher conference that afternoon, and I was told that she was very concerned about Mia, and that  Mia was at high-risk for retention.  I have to increase my time working with her, because I will not allow her to be retained without a good fight.  Education is so different now than it was when I was growing up.  I can seriously name about 15 children who have been retained whereas when I was growing up, it was very unusual for a child to be held back. 

I had a serious discussion with the family, and I asked for everyone’s help in helping Mia pass the first grade.  Brandon/Dylan can work with her directly after school while Lance and I will do additional tutoring in the evening.  If she does pass first grade, I promised a trip to Disneyland for the entire family. 

I hope everyone had a spectacular Halloween....

2 comments:

  1. Mia can do it! You all will do it. It's only November. :)

    Nice legs, Liz! The one eyed monster is the best. I'll bet you guys have the best neighborhood for trick-or-treating. Everyone lives so close! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. our neighborhood goes all out....many houses do haunted houses...there are alot of kids. It is very lively on Halloween.

    ReplyDelete