Friday, July 26, 2013

Happy Birthday Grandpa Roy!

The day I left Europe, I received news that my dad was hospitalized.  It was very difficult to feign excitement for the soon to begin honeymoon because I was upset and worried.  When I returned, we discovered my dad has cirrhosis.

He was turning 69 on July 19 so I spontaneously decided to take the kids to visit their grandpa for his 69th birthday. I also wanted my dad to feel love and support.   My older sister Yvette and her family came too and so did my brother, Leroy, and his family.  Seven days after arriving home from Europe, I found myself on a plane again.  The kids were very excited to see their cousins and their Grandpa and Grandma.  Mia had even more excitement as this was going to be her first time on a plane.

Ready to fly.   

Getting ready to take off
My dad looks very thin.  He does not have as much energy as he once did, but I think it was great that he was surrounded by all his ten grandchildren.  The house was incredibly noisy and full of rambunctious laughter. It was difficult to try to keep ten kids entertained.  They had a water gun war in the backyard.  They danced to PSY's Gangnam Style song.  We ate pizza, nachos, and had a great time!

My dad has been married to a beautiful, sweet, kind woman named Pilar.  I feel very grateful to her for loving and always being there for my dad. Her daughter, Mary, is just as wonderful.  What I'm also especially thankful for is that Mary is a nurse.






For my dad's birthday, we went to eat Vietnamese Pho.  My dad loves that soup.  We sang Happy Birthday to him and he blew out the candles in his dinosaur cake.  We put one candle for each decade.

Happy Birthday Grandpa Roy!!!!

Ten kids trying to hug Grandpa
I love my dad very very much.  For the last few years, I have been so immersed in my own life that I regrettably have not called him as often as I should have.  My dad has taught me so much over the years.  He taught me the value of family and education.  I remember so many lectures of the importance of family and education.  He is responsible, hard working, sensitive, generous, and a really good man.  I know he has worked very hard and sacrificed much to provide for us.  He has supported me and loved me unconditionally.  I know I could go to him for anything and he would be there for me.  There is such comfort in that knowledge. 

During this visit, my dad was able to meet his 10th grandchild, Oliver.  Oliver is a fat 14 month old boy with blond hair and blue eyes.  He stands out in the family of brunettes and brown eyes.  Oliver's middle name, LyRoy,  is a combination of his paternal grandparents.  Ly is my mom's name and Roy is my dad's.  Dylan's middle name is also "Roy". 

I don't want to lose my dad yet.  He has been trying to be healthy and doing what he can.  I know it is hard for him so it makes me really proud that he is trying.....

Dad, I love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love you!! 






My dad has beautiful eyes.
Fat Cute Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment