Friday, July 19, 2013

12 Days of Heavenly Bliss – PART I (PRAGUE)

  
The plane that took us from London to Prague

Two and a half years after we committed ourselves in marriage, Lance and I finally had a honeymoon, and it was not just a honeymoon, but a true adventure!  We debated between visiting Great Britain and Eastern Europe, but because we wanted very much to see Auschwitz, Eastern Europe was the final choice.

We took almost 1,000 photos of which Lance is quick to add that I am in 950 of those photos, but I had to tell him that it not necessary to take all these scenery shots because why take it when you can buy a much prettier  postcard?  He knows I am a picture freak so he was extremely patient during the 12 day excursion. 
We got in trouble for taking this photo by airport security.

 The typical European bed for couples, Outside of our hotel window at 9:30 p.m.; Our hotel in Prague; the deep subway. 


I’m going to split the post for the trip in four separate postings for each city we visited: Prague, Krakow, Vienna, and Budapest.
We left Los Angeles on Saturday, June 28 and arrived in Prague early Sunday evening, which was perfect because we were able to go to sleep immediately in preparation for our next few days of sightseeing.  I wanted very much to join the “mile high club” with Lance, and I knew this long flight to Europe would present the ideal opportunity.  However, we are not quite newlyweds anymore nor are we in our 20s so the fatigue defeated any desire I had to be a member of the exclusive “mile high club”. 
We spent two full days in Prague, and we saw as much as we could.  The honeymoon itinerary was organized by me. In fact, I made all preparations for this trip only consulting Lance periodically.  This was not going to be a relaxing vacation by the beach. This was going to be a very busy go-go-go vacation.  I believe that I will probably never visit these countries again and because I have a limited amount of time, I want to see as much as I possibly could.  I will travel more, but it will be to places that I have not been to yet.
Our first day in Prague was spent touring the Prague Castle, KGB museum, and Petrin Tower.  Prague castle was so impressive.  I am amazed at how advanced the people were to build such architecture, specifically the church.  Petrin Tower is a like a mini Eiffel Tower, and it provided us with one of the best views of Prague. We also had dinner on Petrin Hill, and I must admit I’m not quite a fan of the food from Prague.  I am not a particular eater either.  I can eat anything and I did, but there was no pleasure in the food.  I love pate, but the pate was not to my liking.  Lance complained quite frequently about all the walking, particularly the steep climb up Petrin Hill.  We had to stop so he could take a breather.  Once we reached the top of the hill, he learned it was another 300 steps to the top of the tower.  He paid the extra fee to ride the elevator up.
The second day we toured the Astronomical Tower, town square, Charles Bridge, and the Powder Tower.  Without debate, Prague is the prettiest city I have ever seen.  It is simply breathtaking. The pictures do not do the city justice.  Lance and I said that we could definitely live here (even with the food).  I found the story about the Astronomical Tower/Clock intriguing.  The creator was blinded after building this clock so that he could never duplicate his work elsewhere.  In retaliation, he threw himself into the clock making it inoperable for years.
I am a passionate romantic.  Lance and I renewed our vows to each other in every city we visited (except Krakow).  I did not think it was appropriate as Krakow included a visit to Auschwitz.  In Prague, on the Charles Bridge, Lance and I stopped, gazed into each other’s eyes, and recommitted ourselves to each other.  I will never forget that.
On the evening of our second day, we took a dinner cruise along the beautiful Danube River.  Prague does not get dark until 10 p.m. so most of our cruise was still in the daylight, but towards the end, it was so romantic to ride along the Danube with the sunset and then finally the beautiful city lights of Prague.  It was the perfect ending to two perfect days in Prague.

The Powder Tower and the streets of Prague


     Lunch outside Prague Castle


      Prague Castle


                                                  Inside the cathedral at Prague Castle





        View of Prague from Petrin Tower



                                          Petrin Tower


     View of Charles the Bridge--Lance is seen in the orange shirt.  I took this picture from top of the tower.



            on Charles Bridge where we renewed our vows.
 







 A street artist in the town square

Lance and I rented a car in Prague that we used to drive us between the cities.  I had anxiety over this because I did not know how terrible the roads would be or how crazy/reckless the drivers may be or how difficult it would be to cross the borders.
Czech Republic has very modern highway system, but once we left Czech Republic for Poland, we had to travel on a two-lane highway through very small Polish towns.  The problem was these two lane highways are shared with local tractors which leaves a quick commute impossible.
I was relatively calm on the trip except for when we had to travel to the other countries.  When the GPS sometimes failed, I felt desperate because I like to be in control.  Lance and I are a perfect team.  I am the worst driver; he is a great driver.  He sucks at navigating and can’t find his way anywhere whereas I am so skilled at navigation.  Give me a map in any place or country, and I can find my way anywhere.  Lance drove while I navigated, and we were perfection.
When I left Czech Republic, I felt a little irrational anxiety about entering Poland. I don’t know why, but Lance said he felt it too….maybe because it was even more Eastern….maybe because it was just recently under Soviet controI or maybe it was the warning sign I saw at the car rental shop that warned us about driving into Poland.  I was ridiculously thinking I would be pulled over and arrested by government officials.  My suspicions were, of course, foolish.
The drive from Prague to Krakow was approximately 6.5 hours with our stops.  What I will remember about Prague is its beauty.  It is truly breathtaking.  I love Prague.  It is a romantic city full of beauty and rich history.  It was my second favorite city (almost first) on this honeymoon.










the Czech Republic Highway




the little red car that took us everywhere

                     The famous Astronomical Clock Tower


Next stop:  Krakow, Poland, Auschwitz I and Auschwitz-Birkenau

No comments:

Post a Comment