Saturday, July 20, 2013

12 Days of Heavenly Bliss - PART II (KRAKOW AND AUSCHWITZ)


                                                                        Drive to Poland

We arrived in Krakow around 5 p.m. and immediately upon checking into our hotel, we went to Schindler’s Factory.  I was very eager to visit the factory, but it was not what I expected it to be.  I thought it would be a museum devoted to the history of Schindler, Schindler’s Jews etc.  It was, however, a holocaust museum with only a small portion (Schindler’s office and the pots/pans they made at the factory) devoted to Schindler and  Schindler’s Jews.  Do not get me wrong though.  The museum was worth the visit, but because it was close to closing, there were limited visitors.  It felt like we were alone in the museum and viewing all those displays that showed the evil of mankind was just unbearable.  I have been to the Tolerance Museum in Los Angeles, but it is no where near as dark as this museum.  I felt the need to run.  I was scared.  It felt like I was in a haunted house, and I felt like I had to get out of there.  Lance felt the same way.  There was just this eerie feeling that I could not escape. 
The gates to Schindler's Factory

We left Schindler’s Factory, and our taxi cab drove us to the center of what was once the ghetto in World War II Poland.  We spent the evening in Market Square having a great dinner.  Our hotel was a three-minute walk from Market Square. 
Poland had the BEST food. Everything I ate there was just scrumptious. We ordered a polish sausage with sauerkraut from a vendor in the Market Square; I loved it so much, I had seconds.  I also had the pancakes I was craving, and Lance ordered some cheese dumpling.  The food was incredible.  I also found the Polish people to be the most friendly.  They always treated me with a smile.  The bathrooms in Poland made every other bathroom including those in the states look like a dump.  We were in a park, and I had to go to the bathroom, but I was scared because it looked like there would be bums in it, but wow!  The bathroom was so cleaned. I was shocked.  McDonalds, gas stations bathrooms were sparkly clean!

Photos from Market Square and the streets of Krakow

Outside Wawel Castle

        Wawel Castle and Market Square
Our itinerary had us visiting Auschwitz the next day.  I was debating if I could make the trip. After the anxiety and panic I experienced at Schindler’s Factory, I did not think I could handle the trip to Auschwitz.  It would be much worse.  I had serious reservations about going, but I had to convince myself to gather the courage.  We drove to Krakow to see Auschwitz.  Our entire honeymoon was centered around Auschwitz. This was the reason why we chose Eastern Europe. We had to see Auschwitz.
Prior to leaving the states, Lance and I watched Schindler's List again. We began reading more about the Holocaust.  A dark feeling overcame both of us, and it took weeks for us to shake it.  I believed that our visit to Auschwitz would stir up those same solemn emotions, but to a much greater degree.
There are no words to adequately describe Auschwitz and Auschwitz Birkenau.  When I write this and when I reflect on my visit there, my eyes tear.  For me, the best part...the most meaningful part of our entire honeymoon/trip was the day we spent at Auschwitz. There are two camps. Auschwitz I was the labor camp that housed mostly prisoners of war (POWs). Auschwitz Birkenau is the death camp.  It is approximately 1.5 miles away from the first camp. 
Prior to our visit, I read about the display of some of the victims items that includes shoes, toothbrushes, briefcases, and even hair.  However, I was NOT NOT prepared for what I did see.  I thought there would be a few strands of locks in a frame.  What I saw was shocking.  There was an entire room filled with hair that piled so high that it was taller than me.  The hair weighed 50 tons.  I found it so sickening to learn that the Germans used this hair for lining in hats, jackets, and socks.  When I saw this hair, tears fell from my eyes.  I could not stop. I'm crying now when I remember.
We visited Block 11 which is the prison within Auschwitz.  This is where they tried the first killing with the pellets in the basement.  We saw the horrific conditions of the prison in the prison.  We saw Block 10 where that sick fucker (sorry for my language) experimented on the Jewish people.  He made lampshades out of their skin.  He experimented on women to try to sterilize them.
There is one gas chamber at Auschwitz.  It is still in tact.  We walked into this place in complete silence.
Auschwitz Birkenau is much bigger.  The atrocities at Birkenau were even more evil, if that is even possible.  We saw the ruins of the gas chambers that the Germans blew them up in an effort to conceal their crimes against humanity.  On the grounds of the gas chamber area, they covered it with a cobblestone pavement so no one will ever walk on the same grounds that the victims walked on.  Lance did everything he could to hold back tears.   A few steps from one of the ruins of the gas chamber is the ashes of the victims.  Lance made a comment which I have repeated.  The Germans believed in the sick ideology that the Jews were less than human so if they really believed in this belief, why did they feel the need to conceal the atrocities they committed?  If you believe in something then you must think it is right so why try to hide something you believe in wholeheartedly?  When the Germans blew up the gas chambers and tried to conceal their crimes, it was an indication that they knew what they did was wrong and evil....otherwise, why hide it?
This sounds strangely peculiar, but I felt a solemn peace when I left Auschwitz and Auschwitz Birkenau.  I was not scared.  I did not feel the desperate need to run.  My heart ached, but it was not out of fear, but respect and sadness.  I felt peace, which I still can't quite explain, but it was as if I could feel their souls.  Ok.....I am crying now.....
The Holocaust is the worst evil in this history of mankind.  I truly believe that everyone should make a trip to Auschwitz.  It is a lesson and a vow to never forget.

The front gates of Auschwitz I

Auschwitz I

Block 11 (the prison within Auschwitz)

Bunks in Auschwitz.  This is the Hilton compared to Auschwitz Birkenau

Courtyard between Block 10 (the ward where the experiments were conducted) and Block 11 (the prison).  It was in this courtyard that many victims were executed along the wall.

the toilets in Auschwitz I



the sinks

the cremation inside the gas chamber in Auschwitz I

Gas Chamber in Aushwitz I


Aushwitz Birkenau

Auschwitz Birkenau


Standing in the spot where the "selection" took place where some were sent immediately to the gas chamber and others sent to labor camp.

Ruins of one of the gas chambers.  This is the room where the victims were told to get undressed for a cleansing

Ruins of the gas chamber


the ashes of thousands of innocent victims

Auschwitz Birkenau

the bunks.  The best location was to be on the top.






Every time I read this, I cry.  This is written in many different languages in a memorial at Auschwitz Birkenau.  You could see the cobblestones that cover the ground.
Electric fence surrounding Auschwitz I
Aushwitz is about an hour drive from Krakow.  We spent our last day in Krakow visiting the Wawel Castle and Plaszow Camp.  Plaszow Camp was also a concentration camp, but it was situated in the city of Krakow.  It is also the camp that is shown in the movie Schindler's list.  There is no remnants of the camp left today.  It is just a vacant field with a few memorials. 

Lance and I found it difficult to comprehend how houses stood with families living in such close proximity to both Aushwitz and Plaszow.  It is their history though....something they grew up with.   


Amon Goeth House When He was Commander of Plaszow Camp
Plaszow Concentration Camp today

Memorial noting the site of Plaszow Camp

The house used in Schindler's List for Amon Goeth's house.

the house the evil Amon Goth lived in while Commander of Plaszow Camp

Dragon's Den in Wawel Castle
I have a special soft spot in my heart for the Polish people.  Their history is full of struggle...struggle for independence.  They should be proud of their perseverance and strength.  If Prague is considered the most beautiful city to me, Krakow/Poland has the most heart.  I think they are amazing amazing amazing people.  I have the most respect for the people of Poland.

Prague will be remembered for its beauty, but Krakow will be remembered by me for its people.

Next Stop:  Vienna, Austria.

No comments:

Post a Comment