Friday, July 26, 2013

12 Days of Heavenly Bliss - PART IV (BUDAPEST)

We had the most magnificent view of the grand Parliament Building along the Danube River as our hotel was situated alongside the river.  The over sized windows opened completely which gave us the perception of having a balcony without actually having one.  It was difficult to leave this room because of this view.  Lance and I ended the days early and retrieved back to our room where we would have drinks (beer for him and a lemonade for me) and watch the parade of boats float by.  We would also watch the most romantic sunset and the city lights of Budapest.
Parliament Building (taken from our hotel balcony/window)
Chain Bridge
Lance and I (our shadows)

Taken from our hotel window/balcony

Our first day in Budapest was spent touring Castle Hill where the current Hungarian President resides.  We also did an interesting tour of the hospital in a rock.  Yes, this six-mile stretch of interconnected caves and cellars was as an actual functioning hospital at a time.  Lance and I also had a boat lunch tour along the Danube.  The food was much better than what was served on our boat tour in Prague, but I, personally, enjoyed the Prague boat tour.  It was longer and since it was in the evening, there was a beautiful sunset.


Residence of the Hungarian President

Fisherman's Bastion

View from Fisherman's Bastion

Chain Bridge

One of the chains on Chain Bridge


Our lunch boat cruise along the Danube River


Had an opportunity to hold an eagle.  He was SUPER SUPER HEAVY!!!! 

Liberty Bridge which led to the Market


Lunch at Fisherman's Bastion (great view of Budapest)

Karmen and I in the labyrinth

in the labyrinth at Castle Hill



Lance and I also visited the oldest bathhouse in Budapest, Kiraly Bath.  You cannot visit Budapest without going to a bathhouse.  It would be like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower.  There are several bathhouses in Budapest; some much more elegant than others, but I was not looking for beauty.  What I wanted was history.  I chose the oldest bathhouse in Budapest, which was built in the second half of the 16th century. Lance, of course, complained during the 900 meter walk from the hotel to the bathhouse.  However, once we got there, he loved it.  To be frank though, it was a dump.  It was very old, not well kept or maintained, and had a rather distinct odor.  We were not here to be pampered. We were here for the history.  There were multiple baths with each regulated to different temperatures.  Lance and I made certain we sat our asses in each bath.  It was here that we exchanged vows once again.  I had read that Kiraly was a popular site among homosexuals, and so we were not surprised when we saw two men affectionately loving each other.

We also caught the light rail and went to the historic Market in Budapest where we did our only shopping on the entire honeymoon.  When I travel, I'm not eager to do shopping because I prefer to focus on the sites, but we had to get gifts.  Of course, ten minutes into shopping, Lance had that bored look on his face that was silently saying, "Are you done yet?" 


Market that we did our shopping (Building is to the left of me)

Our son, Joe, recently left the Navy, but prior to his returning to the states, he met and fell in love with a young Hungarian lady named Karmen.  Lance and I spent our final day in Budapest with Karmen.  She took us to Castle Hill again where Lance exhibited childlike excitement when we visited the underground labyrinth that had displays of Dracula. Karmen also took us to Hero Square.  We spent most of the day getting to know Joe's fiance.  Karmen is a very sweet beautiful young woman.   It is his goal to get Karmen to the United States so they can spend their lives together and build a bright future.  I love Lance dearly, and he has been extraordinary with my children, and I want only to be just as supportive to his children as he is to mine.  I'm only recently developing/building my relationship with Joe (having only met him once last May), but it is amazing how quick one can assume a parental-type  role.  I notice myself developing a protective instinct towards Joe; something I didn't quite expect to occur, but it is something positive because I want to help him secure a stable and promising future.



Lunch with Karmen on Caste Hill
I ordered room service on our last night in Budapest, and we sat watching the city lights.  Life is a comparison.  You have favorites.  The cities I liked were in this order Vienna, Prague, Krakow, and Budapest. 

Lance and I returned home simply exhausted.  This was not a vacation.  This was an adventure.  We did not relax.  We saw so much.  We did so much, and even though we both needed rest from the vacation, we have no regrets.  We both said it was the best vacation we ever took. 

A co-worker of ours who travels the world says that as soon as you get home from your vacation, that is when you start planning the next one.  I think there are always excuses to not travel, and I know it is costly, but there are ways to minimize costs.  Next year, Lance and I will be doing an RV vacation with the kids and dogs through Utah and Idaho.  The following year, we will travel to England.  I'm already excited to plan the next vacations. 

I love my husband very much.  We have an amazing marriage.  It is not perfect. There are times that he does the most stupidest things.  I never do anything stupid and I'm always right.  Lance is starting to learn that. (I'm kidding) However, overall, I'm very blessed to be married, and this honeymoon reminds me how lucky I am to be Mrs. Joseph Lance Wade.  


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you're documenting this while it's still so fresh. Been loving traveling with you vicariously.

    ReplyDelete