Monday, August 19, 2013

One Year and 12 Half Marathons Later


Inspired by a coworker who made it a goal to run a 5k every month for a year, I made the decision to do the same, but I made some modifications to fit my own fitness needs.  In September 2012, I made a decision to run a half marathon every month for a year.  I was well aware that this would be a daunting task, but with the support of a very loving husband, I was able to accomplish it.  Running is very therapeutic for me.  It challenges me both physically and mentally.  I feel empowered and undefeatable. I do not train for half marathons. What enables me to do it is that I continue to maintain a moderate fitness level as part of my life’s routine.  I will exercise until I no longer can.  I do it because it is the best and most natural anti depressant in life.  I exercise more for my mental well being.
The “running” aspect of this goal was not the challenge.  What made it particularly difficult and challenging was all the other logistics such as cost, travel, and time.  Running in organized races is not a cheap sport.  It can cost anywhere from 75 – 150 dollars to register per race.  Moreover, with races being so early on Sunday mornings, I often have to travel to locations and spend a night on Saturdays; thus, you have hotel costs.  Additionally, it usually interrupts an entire weekend so you sacrifice other activities to run.
I did not achieve any PRs.  My times were mediocre with my fastest being 2:08 and my slowest being 2:46.  The body is not built to take such a beating so I knew running this frequently would not give me a personal best.  I was not running for my PR.

YEAR IN REVIEW

September 2012:  Disneyland Half Marathon, Anaheim California




October 2012:  Los Angeles Rock and Roll Half Marathon, Los Angeles, California



 

November 2012:  San Antonio Rock and Roll Half Marathon, San Antonio, California





December 2012:  Las Vegas Rock and Roll Half Marathon, Las Vegas, California




 

January 2013:  Arizona Rock and Roll Half Marathon, Phoenix, Arizona


 

February 2013:  Surf City Half Marathon, Huntington Beach, California


 

March 2013:  San Diego Half Marathon, San Diego, California


April 2013:  Hollywood Half Marathon, Hollywood, California



 

May 2013:  OC Half Marathon, Newport Beach, California



 

June 2013:  San Diego Rock and Roll Half Marathon, San Diego, California

 






July 2013:  Shoreline Half Marathon, Ventura, California




August 2013: America’s Finest City Half Marathon, San Diego California





So what’s next?  I have gained an excessive amount of weight, and I need to lose a minimum of 10 lbs before I can even consider conquering my next ambition.  I already am in that very exclusive club of those who have completed a full marathon; however, it was under the worst conditions, and I know I could do MUCH better.  With that being said, I want to run the 2014 LA Marathon in March.  I am ambitious.  I am competitive, and I’m going to do this! Bring it on!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment