Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Wedding Bells: I Do. I Do.


The two best celebrations in life are the birth of a baby and the matrimonial union of a man and woman.  On Saturday, April 12, our son Joseph Leigh Wade married Karmen Geszler in an intimate ceremony in Laguna Hills.  Joe met Karmen in Europe over a year ago. It has been a long journey for them, but in the end, love conquered and they are now husband and wife.
 
the very happy and good looking bride and groom

 
 
Here is the condensed version of the story.  Joe left the Navy and Europe last summer. He returned to the states  and began to adjust to civilian life.  During this transition period, he lived with us for three months. However, he could not forget Karmen.  He was able to bring her back for a three-month stay in September.  It was during this stay that Joe got on one knee and asked her to be his wife in a romantic setting in San Diego.  Karmen, unfortunately, had to return to Hungary in mid-December and the waiting began while the application was completed and the paperwork processed.   With God’s blessing, everything was approved and a beautiful wedding followed.

I cannot complain because my stress was nowhere near in comparison to that of the bride and groom, but I WAS STRESSED.  Lance was just as stressed. The wedding was scheduled in the least desirable time for us.  Lance's good friend from Texas, Keith, had arrived for a long planned boys weekend.  Lance was trying to balance both, and I had to pick up the pieces.  The wedding was the priority, and it is....it truly is all about the bride and groom.   Ultimately, everything worked out.   Karmen and Joe exchanged vows in front of a fountain at the Laguna Hills Civic Center.  It was an emotional and touching expression of love.  Both had tears in their eyes as they recited their vows.  Karmen looked simply BEAUTIFUL.  Karmen’s mother and brother flew in from Hungary.  Joe’s grandmother, aunt, mother, stepfather, and stepbrothers flew in from Idaho and Utah.  Jessie, our daughter, was able to come too and serve as the official wedding photographer.  Unfortunately, Lauren, our other daughter,  was unable to attend.  She was definitely missed.  Following the ceremony, the wedding party drove to Laguna Beach for some amazing photos before we drove to Palos Verdes for a reception, that included delicious Hungarian food. 
 
The entire wedding party


Lance giving Joe a great big hug

Joe, Mark (Karmen's brother) and his friend (I can't remember his name. I suck.)


Karmen with her new husband and mother and brother.  Her mother is absolutely gorgeous. Now, we know where Karmen gets her beauty.


In Laguna Beach

Joe and his new bride with his entire family minus Lauren, Brandon and Mia who decided to play the sand.  Joe's adorable grandma and sweet mother, Trudy are to the right of Karmen.



with my two guys, Mr. Keith Kosan

the reception house in Palos Verdes
 
On a side note….not only is Karmen beautiful, but she must have superpowers.  She cooked for her wedding!  It was an amazing meal, and we just devoured everything. 

When the wedding concluded, we were able to have a nice dinner with the newlyweds and Karmen's mother and brother on Monday night.   This gave us a wonderful opportunity to get to know them, because honestly, at the wedding, our conversation was limited.  I just fell in love with her mother and brother. 
 
I am grateful.  I am grateful that Joe found someone to share his life with. I am excited for him and Karmen as they start a life together.  Young love is full of such promise and hope, and we only wish them everything beautiful life has to offer.   I am grateful that Keith was so accommodating to adjust his weekend to be there for his best friend’s son's wedding.  Lance loves Keith so it was even more meaningful to have him there.   I am grateful that I got to spend some time alone with Jessie.  Prior to this weekend, I communicated with Jessie in emails, texts, and through our family gatherings, but I must admit I was feeling a little anxiety with her arrival this weekend. Lance would be in San Diego, which would mean “alone” time with Jessie.  There would be no buffer or distractions.   I was uncertain as to how the conversation would flow and how natural it would be, but she is just the most amazing, easy to talk to, wonderful young woman.  I could easily spend a weekend alone with her and have the BEST time.  I felt like we bonded, and I truly grow to love her more.  I am also grateful for the warmth from Joe’s maternal side of the family.  Trudy, Mari, his grandma were just incredibly sweet, kind, warm people, and I have nothing but great things to say.  They just exude a genuine warmth.  It could have been awkward, but it wasn't.  It was just wonderful.
 
Congratulations to Joe and Karmen Wade!  We love you and are so very happy to be part of this extraordinary moment in your lives.  Now, when will we see some grandbabies?????!!!

5 comments:

  1. Very well written post! Can I steal this? :) hehe It was sooo much fun to get to know you better too, Liz. I always knew I liked you, but the weekend just solidified it. Thanks for everything!

    P.S. Joe's friend is named Shawn or Sean or however you spell it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) was very well written

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story, beautiful pictures, and was nice to meet a wonderful family :) thanks to let me to be part of the celebration .

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was nice meeting you. You are my partner in babysitting duties even though you wanted to abandon me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz, thank you very much for a great post! I loved reading it, I am happy we had a great time together! :) hugs

    ReplyDelete