Sunday, April 6, 2014

Hollywood Half Marathon 2014

You know you are a hardcore runner when the days leading up to a half marathon race, you hear yourself saying, "I'm just running a half." or "it's only a half".  When did a half marathon just become only a half...a measly 13.1 miles?  Somewhere in my running career, a half marathon became just that.  I don't train for them. I simply just get out and run.  It is my race.  It is enough distance that I feel a challenge, but not enough where I feel I need months of preparation. 

The Hollywood Half Marathon was this past Saturday, April 5.  I am a Hollywood Half Marathon Legacy Runner. This is a young race that had its inaugural race in 2012.  I ran all three races: 2012, 2013, and 2014, and I am now considered a Legacy Runner.  Each year I run, I will get a special gift. I intend on keeping my legacy status. I like this race. I remember the first year running it, they ran out of cups and runners were using their hands to cup water.  I laugh at that memory now.  I like it because the medal is my favorite. The race is small and there is a nice warm intimate feeling to it.   The first race only had about 2500 runners, and though it is growing, you are not dealing with 20,000 runners. I am not a big fan of the Rock and Roll marathons.  I also like the star treatment they give you...finishing on a red carpet.  In the past races, they used a limo to shuttle the runners to/from the start.  The course is also a challenge.  It is not flat. 

Hollywood Half Marathon Medals from All Three Races

What I love about running is that it gets me to places I would not normally go...even if it is semi local, I get to travel, stay in different hotels at a much cheaper rate, and eat in different restaurants.  It's a wonderful experience.

Lance was registered for the Hollywood 10k, but he has not been working out so he opted to stay home.  I caught the train to Hollywood with Dylan.  Ok, this is going to sound very strange, but if you're a runner, and particularly, if you are a Ragnar runner, it's kind of normal.  I shared a room with my son and three other guys, and yes, none of those guys were my husband.  We do this to help defray costs, and it also makes it fun.

picking up my bib








The W Hotel is simply a luxury hotel.  Wow!  They had this elaborate bar and condiments in our room that even offered oxygen.  Yes, oxygen?  What do you do with that?  We received a reduced rate of $310.00 for the room, and I thought that was expensive, but the regular rates at the W can easily be $600+. 



Dylan in the very modern W Hotel room

my roomies



Dylan at the roof top pool of the W Hotel


lounging outside in the W hotel with fire pits and a movie size giant screen TV

View from the rooftop pool at the W Hotel

W Hotel




The eve before the Saturday race, we ate at this trendy Italian restaurant in downtown Hollywood called Aventine.  It was absolutely delicious.




What I like about this race is that we left our hotel room at 5:45 a.m. for a 6 a.m. race.  It was just so easy. When we finished, we walked 3 mins back to our hotel room.  Convenience!!

My days of running 2 hour half marathons are over.  I'm just old.  My time for the Hollywood half was 2:19.  I am pleased with that especially considering that I only ran 2 times in the last month...yes, I ran 1 mile on two different times.  I have been working out though, but doing other types of exercise.  My heart and lungs are in prime shape.  I am never tired, but I get muscle fatigue and I guess that's what I need to work on.

Dont know who this guy is, but took a photo op....had to google him later.


Posing with my medal and my favorite start, Monty Clift

Me at 16 years old in front of Monty's star and 26 years later, I am 42 sitting in front of his star
posing in front of the Pantages theater.  I have seen a few plays in there, and the Book of Mormon is playing...maybe Lance and I will go there for our anniversary celebration. I hope so...


So what's next? OC Half Marathon in a month!  Dylan will be running with me.  I'm so proud of him.  He didn't do as well as he normally does, but he hasn't been running either.  He has 11 medals.  I now have a running partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment