Monday, February 11, 2013

There is Another Reason to Celebrate Valentine's Day!

Valentines Day is extra special for me.   It is the day God blessed me with Brandonio(nicknamed given to Brandon by Dylan).  Brandon Joaquin Bivens was born at noon on February 14, 2005.  I woke up at 5:30 a.m. that morning having cramps.  Five-year old Dylan was home from school as it was a school holiday.  I endured the first four hours of constant cramping at home.  However, as the cramps became more and more frequent, I knew the baby was coming.  This was not a false alarm.  I had called my mom who was at work, and she phoned my aunt who was not at work to drive me to the hospital.   I arrived at the hospital around 10:30 a.m. and I was quickly admitted because I was already 8 mm dilated. For those who don’t know, you start pushing at 10 mm.  My mom and Jacob (Brandon’s dad) arrived shortly after followed by Nana who came to take care of Dylan.  I did not have an epidural as I was already too far along.  I did not even have a full dosage of morphine.  I was only given a half dose.  Yes, I’m boasting about the fact that I went through labor with minimal drugs.  I started pushing at 11:45 a.m. and he was out in the world 15 mins later.  Brandon's birth was the easiest labor for me out of my three kids.  However, unbeknownst to me at the time, Brandon’s labor almost became critical.  I did not realize it until I saw the video. Yeah, I filmed his birth.  I also filmed Mia’s birth.  I think it is a wonderful, once in a lifetime experience and I want them to be able to see themselves coming into the world.  When I watched the video later…for about 30 seconds or so, the doctor could not get Brandon’s shoulders out.  His head was out, but his shoulders were stuck.  I did not know it at the time, but looking at the video, the doctor screams to her assistant, “Call for help!” There is an immediate look of fear and concern in her facial expression.  I later learned that this is called “shoulder dysplasia”, which is very serious. Babies who have their shoulders stuck in the birth canal can often become paralyzed on that side of their body.  They do not get use of their arms.  Fortunately, we were blessed, and Dr. York was able to get Brandonio out.  He was my second biggest baby.  He was 8 lbs 14 oz. He had short blond fuzz hair which later grew into beautiful blond curls when he was a toddler.  Those curls disappeared after Brandon’s dad shaved his head. Needless to say, I was NOT happy.  He looked like a white baby whereas everyone has always said I look hispanic.  I took Brandon to Costco when he was an infant, and the cashier thought I was his nanny.


approximately 6 1/2 months pregnant with Brandonio
  
8 months pregnant


Showing off my big belly with Brandonio

Happy Birthday My Valentines Day Boy!

As a baby, Brandonio showed early signs of his personality.  He was cranky, stubborn, independent, and borderline colicky, but he was also very smart.  He picked up on things quickly. I know I am smart, but Brandon surpasses me by far.  Dylan (my oldest) and Mia (my youngest) favored their dad.  I was usually the disciplinarian and would always be the one to say, “no”.  Since he was an infant, Brandon, however, was always a mommy’s boy.  It seems contradictory since he is the most independent and stubborn of the three, but he has always connected to me more than anyone.  I think Brandon’s personality is most similar to mine. I never help him with homework and yet, he continually gets As.  He is small and thin, but he is athletic and does not allow his size to interfere with his goals.  I have no doubt that this little boy of mine is going to grow into an amazing man who is going to make the world a much better place.


 
1 week old







Brandon shows first sign of rebellion....


 
9 months old
  
9 months old


He is eight years old now, and oftentimes, we forget how young he really is because Brandon acts like he is 11 years old.  Occasionally, I get to see him as an 8 year old because he still wants kisses from me.  He still wants me to tuck him in bed every night, which is just the way I want it to be because I love kissing my Valentine's Day baby.


2 years old

4 years old

5 years old
  
My life is so much better because of Brandonio, and I could have not been more blessed.  I love my Brandonio more than life itself.

Happy 8th Birthday Brandon!!  Mommy loves you more than anything!

3 comments:

  1. You poor pregnant lady! You had a beach ball for a tummy. That is a BIG baby for someone your size. Please don't take offense. Brandon was one super cute baby! And still a sweetheart. Happy Birthday! It's kind of crazy to think that your kids aren't that much older than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a sweetheart. He had to be if he was born on Valentine's. And I can't believe his blonde hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I'm married to your Dad, I'm kind of more closer to you guys in where I am in life. I think I'm 13 years older than you Jess and your dad is 13 years older than me so I guess I'm smack in the middle, but yeah, my Mia is only 3 years older than Jed.

    ReplyDelete