Thursday, March 31, 2016

Birthday Celebration for a Beautiful 9 Year-Old Princess

I cannot even begin to express the joy my little girl gives me.  In the Asian culture, it is not uncommon for boys to be favored in the household.  When I was growing up, it was known to all that my mom favored my brother.  My sister and I were treated differently.  It was obvious, and though it is not the ideal situation, it was what it was…..When I found out I was pregnant with a girl, I had concerns on whether I would continue this cycle of treating my daughter less favorably than my sons.  I had two boys, and I couldn’t imagine loving anyone more.  I did not want to be like my mother where my daughter felt less.  I wanted to break that cycle, but yes, I was very worried that I would treat my baby girl differently than the boys.



After she was born, I realized that I do treat her differently.  It is not what you may think though.  I treat her differently because frankly, my relationship with her is different than my relationship with my sons.  What I don't do though is favor my boys over her.  All my children are loved/treated equally.  I have a different relationship with each one because they have different personalities, but all are given an equal amount of love and attention.

Mia has been a blessing to me. The fact is there will never be another girl in this world that I will love more than Mia. NEVER.  She cuddles with me, and I love the quality time we have together.  I love love love love love having a daughter.  I am a tomboy, and I was also concerned that I wouldn’t connect well with a girly girl.  Mia is a girly girl, but she is also a tomboy. She is one of those girls who are both. 

I convinced her to not have a birthday party this year, because frankly, they are exhausting to me.  Instead, we opted to have a girls night together!  I took her to get her first manicure and pedicure. She had seen friends get it done, and I wanted her to be pampered.  I am completely out of place in a nail salon.  My nails are chewed up.  My toenails are black and missing (from running).  I sat there as she was spoiled. She giggled and smiled, and I knew she loved every moment of it.

Since I have never been in a nail salon, we didn't bring flip flops for Mia after her pedicure.  We had to walk out in those flimsy pink flip flops they gave us and go straight to Old Navy to get her a pair. 






so cute!



flower design on her toe

my bitten nails next to Mia's manicure.  

Afterwards, we went shopping.  We went to Barnes and Noble and Justice.  Mia is a tween. She likes clothes, jewelry and fashion.  She always has.  We had dinner together that night, just the two of us, before we continued on our shopping excursion which ultimately led us to Target and Payless.  I LOVED spoiling her!

dinner at Pei Wei

When we were in Payless, Mia wanted some sneakers.  I couldn’t believe she wanted another pair, and I told her she had many, and I said, “you want to get a pair of sneakers from Payless…a pair of Champions when you already have Nikes and Asics?”  Anyway, it was her day so I got what she wanted.

The world is so harsh and cruel, and I worry about my sensitive, sweet little girl.  I am fiercely protective of her, and I want her to grow up, believing she is the most AMAZING, STRONG, INTELLIGENT, CAPABLE, BEAUTIFUL girl in the world.  I look at her and I am in awe. 


Mia, thank you for being my girl.  I will always be your #1 fan, and there isn’t anything, ANYTHING I wouldn’t do for you.  I am so proud of you, and you are the most incredible girl!!!  I love you SO MUCH!

Some birthday presents for Mia....






1 comment: