Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Easter 2016



Easter was relatively quiet at our house.  Lance spent most of the day in San Diego, and the kids were just with me briefly in the morning before they went to their Dad’s house in preparation for the entire Spring break there. 

I scrambled late on their Easter baskets, but no matter how old they get, I still want to put something special together for them. We didn’t dye eggs this year, and they didn’t even ask to dye eggs.  We went to breakfast at McDonald's that morning, and afterwards, I took them and the dogs to Gisler to do our annual egg hunt.  Notice it is singular? They had to once again find the egg that contained the clue to where their hidden Easter basket would be.  To get each of them more involved, I had them hide each other’s eggs.  Dylan hid Mia’s egg.  Mia hid Brandon’s egg.  Brandon hid Dylan’s egg.


the eggs and the dogs behind them. 




I love this shirt and what it says about being pretty!

the eggs.
Within five minutes, everyone found their egg. 

When we returned to the house to find the basket, they were all unsuccessful.  I had to give multiple hints on where their basket was... (Dylan's basket was hidden on his bed buried beneath pillows. He couldn't find it because he doesn't make his bed every morning.  Mia's basket was under our bathroom sink.  She looked in every bathroom and under every sink except for ours. Brandon's basket was in the laundry basket buried underneath a giant pile of laundry that was in the hallway.) Finally when the baskets were found, we took photos before they unraveled their treasures.






Brandon has always been a challenge.  He complains a lot, and I don’t know if it is the result of being the middle child.  Things are always unfair to him, and he sometimes can be a little ‘mean’.  Maybe it is because he doesn’t get the attention as the other two, even though I try very hard to give each child special attention, but I think it isn’t always just me, but others too.

When I was taking photos, he immediately began to complain.  When I gave him his basket, he started to complain about what was in it, and before you knew it, his complaints got to me, and I started to break down.  I did not want to, but I told him fighting back the tears, “Brandon, sometimes you can be very rude.  Do you think I bought that movie and put it in your basket because I thought you didn’t like it?  I bought it because I thought you would like it.  I go through all this effort to try to do something nice for you because I love you and the only thing you have to say to me is that it’s not what you wanted and you are not happy with it.” He knew that he had crossed the line and so did Dylan and Mia.  The happy Easter celebration atmosphere got very quiet and awkward.  They all knew I was on the verge of tears. 

Brandon took his Easter basket and walked away from us and just sat down.  I knew he did not intentionally mean to hurt me with his thoughtless remarks.  I knew that he realized he had hurt me and was remorseful about it.  I knew he, himself, was trying to fight back the tears.  I went back up to him more composed and told him, “Let’s just start over.  Brandon, I made this basket for you because I love you and I put things in there that I thought you would love, things that I thought would make you happy.”

When I dropped the kids off at their Dad’s an hour later, Brandon was very helpful in getting the bags out of the car.  It was his way of making up.  I know he did not mean what he said. I also know he is a sensitive, highly sensitive child. 


I cannot believe how fast time is going by and how much my little babies are growing.  I just wish I could turn back the clock and hold them as babies again.  We didn’t get to say our prayer as we always do, but when I dropped them off at their Dad’s house, I did remind them to take some time out of the day to just say prayer to God and to remember the real reason behind this celebration. 

Easter 2008 and Easter 2016

Easter 2008 and Easter 2016

Easter 2008 and Easter 2016

Easter 2007 and 2016.  Mia's first Easter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment