Friday, March 18, 2016

Happy Five Year Anniversary!





Today isn’t just our wedding anniversary.  Today is much more.  Today is testimony of the strength and love in our marriage.  It is also a reaffirmation that great things involve great risks.  I dated you for a brief 10 weeks before we headed to the Santa Ana Courthouse to legally and spiritually unite, and though 10 weeks may seem shocking to most, in reality, we actually set a court date within one month of dating.  One month!! The gamble was high, and the chances of failure likely.  All rationale and logic thrown out of the window for you…for us. The complete insanity of the act is reflected in the comment made by one, “I hope it lasts.” Quite honestly, I know most had bets on if we would make it beyond a one-year anniversary.  Well, we did, and not only did we, but the love I feel for you is radically stronger, deeper, and more consummate. (I will admit that there is a part of me that gloats and relishes in proving everyone wrong.)





The last five years have been a whirlwind of insurmountable happiness.  I cannot imagine how I lived for 39 years without you, because now, you are so necessary to my existence. I need you.  In fact, my greatest fear is to lose you.  I am not ashamed to admit it and expose my vulnerability.  You are not only my husband, but my best friend, my partner, my confident, and simply “My Everything”.   You are the one I need.  You are the one who understands me.  You are the one who makes me feel safe.  You are the one whose presence I never get tired of.   You are the one who I share everything with.  You are the one who I can just simply look at and be moved to tears.  Have you ever loved someone so much that tears fall from your eyes when you just look at them?   I am a romantic. As an English major, literature left me with an unrealistic perception of “love”. I’ve been cursed with what I oftentimes thought was an insatiable need for a passionate, all-consuming love.  I always wanted something more, and with you, the dreams from my younger self are fulfilled.  I feel so utterly complete.


married!

Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve always felt a little out of place in this world.  I knew I was a little inappropriate, too sensitive and passionate, somewhat crude and frankly just an odd duck, but with you—I have someone who understands and accepts me for who I am.  When I want to travel across the world to save elephants, you eagerly jump on board.  When I make all these charitable donations to and for these causes, you support it.  When I run race after race after race after race, you willingly oblige. When I plan our honeymoon around Auschwitz, you are all for it.  When I adopted two mental dogs, you loved them as well.  When I behave completely inappropriate, you tolerate me with a slight roll of the eyes.  When I want to jump out of a plane, you don't try to dissuade me.  When I want to take romantic carriage rides through a cemetery instead of a town square, you happily agree. When I am gross and disgusting (because I know I am), you make me still feel beautiful.  You accepted and loved my three children as if they are your own.  You were there for me when I had to say my final goodbye to my father.  Lance, we are the best, BEST team. I sometimes imagine all that we would have accomplished/done if we met when we were younger, but I cannot have remorseful wishes like that because I know I’m truly blessed to have just found you.  Period.  It may have taken 39 years, but I finally found you.


“Marry someone who will make you fall in love with God every single day”……that one quote is the most perfect quote for our marriage.  I know it was not your intention, but you do, Lance.  You really do bring me closer to God. For me, this quote sums up our marriage and of you as my husband.  I know you are not perfect, but you are ‘perfect for me’.   You give me so much.  You help raise my kids.  You support me.  You believe in me. You encourage me.  You laugh with me.  You inspire me.  You love me, and your love is a precious, precious gift that I will always treasure; however, your GREATEST gift to me is your unconscious ability to bring me closer to God.  You make me fall more in love with God with every single day.  I thank you for that. 



I love you so much Lance.  I truly, sincerely want you to feel loved and happy.  Every action I do is made with consideration of you.  I hope you know that you can depend on me….that I will always be here for you and that I will never turn my back on you.  Thank you for being my husband and for choosing me as your wife.  I am the happiest I have ever ever been in my life, and that is because of you.  I love you more, so much more today than yesterday. 




Happy Five Year Anniversary.

now go win that game tonight, because I am not going to be married to a LOSER!!


No comments:

Post a Comment