Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Happy 4th Anniversary-Even If I'm the Only One Who Remembers


Celebrating Four Years of Marriage Bliss 
 
Marriage is not all rosy.  It takes a lot of work, understanding, patience, and love to make it work.  My husband is a good husband.  In fact, he is a GREAT husband, but his inability, at times, to remember important, sentimental things (i.e. an annivesary) can be a little, just a little wounding.   

Last night, I went to bed slightly peeved over something, something very trivial and insignificant.  My last thought for the day, however, was that tomorrow was my four-year anniversary.  I woke up this morning, and quite truthfully, it was my very first thought of the day.  Four years ago today, on a Friday morning, we woke up and went to the Santa Ana Courthouse for an 11:00 a.m. appointment, and we got married.  Only a very, very small handful of people knew.  We hid the elopement from family and friends for two months.  The first two months when our marriage was a secret, it honestly didn’t feel like we were married.  Our secret was kept hidden because we knew we were insane.  We married after a ridiculously brief 2.5 month courtship.  We foolishly believed that by hiding it a little longer, it might lessen people’s “WTF?” impression.  I know. I know. Delusional thinking. 
 
I will say this though…..Marrying Lance was, irrefutably, the most INSANE, IRRESPONSIBLE thing I have ever done in my life, but it is also the most RIGHT thing I have ever done.

So though we celebrated our anniversary with a nice dinner over the weekend, I still expected some type of acknowledgment today.   I don’t expect much. I don’t expect a dozen roses delivered or extravagant gifts.  I just expected a morning “Happy Anniversary” hug, a nice card, and perhaps an invitation to a casual lunch today.  Simple.  Just some small acknowledgment...

 


I don't dress up that often but we had dinner at the Lobster on the Santa Monica Pier for our anniversary dinner.


Women and men are wired differently, and I know my husband is not an exception.  There have been many stories of men forgetting anniversaries or birth dates.  It’s common theme in jokes, and perhaps, my husband is waiting for me to give him that hug, that card, and that invite out to lunch?  But like the stubborn ass that I am, I am going to wait for him.  No reason, I’m just pigheaded.
 
 
 
We have this silly tradition that we renew our vows regularly at historic or beautiful landmarks.  We have said our vows on an airplane across the Atlantic Ocean, on the Charles Bridge in Prague, at the Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna, at Ernest Hemingway’s house in Key West, at the Queen Mary,  in the middle of the Arizona desert etc etc.  This weekend, we renewed our vows on the historic Santa Monica Pier.  Lance told me, “If I didn’t marry you four years ago, I would be asking you to marry me now.  I would marry you again.”  I feel the same way.

 
On the pier, renewing our vows
 
The last four years of my life have been so complete.  We fit very well together.  We are both made of the same mould.  He was made for me, and I was made for him.

 
I love being married to my husband, and I am deeply in love with him even if the dumb ass can’t remember our anniversary.


No comments:

Post a Comment