Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Why India?

We are going to India.  In 10.5 months, we will be boarding a plane and traveling for almost 23 hours half way around the world.  Why? Why?  Out of all the places in the world, why would we choose India? Why not go to Hawaii? Or even Europe? Why go to an underdeveloped country? 
 
Lance and I like adventure, and I'm a very simple girl who does not require luxurious accommodations.  I've also been following the story of an elephant named Raju that was rescued in India during the summer.  While following his story, I became aware of the organization Wildlife SOS that rescued him. We started making reoccuring monetary donations to the organization, and I was surprised at their prompt responsiveness to us.  Each time I emailed them with a question, I received a response quickly.  Their organization does not exploit the donations.  Through Facebook, I began contacting other people who have volunteered with Wildlife SOS, and their praise for Wildlife SOS knows no limitations.  Wildlife has rescued abused elephants and dancing bears in India.  Most of the elephants in the Wildlife sanctuary are old.  They have lived a life of abuse and now deserve only kindness and freedom.

One of the elephants before/after she was rescued by Wildlife SOS


As we began discussing our 2015 vacations plans, it was difficult for us to agree on a location.  I truly wanted to visit in England so I could do a literary tour.  Lance was not to interested in that notion.  We then thought seriously about Washington DC, which would have been a wonderful choice had I not lived there for several years.  When the notion came up to visit India to be volunteers at Wildlife SOS, the entire family embraced it.

So basically, we are flying halfway around the world on vacation where we are going to to work and where we are paying to work?  Mmmm......it's an interesting concept, isn't it?  But I just love elephants and so do the kids and Lance.  I was actually surprised at how excited Lance was to be a part of this, but most people don't realize the very special bond that Lance has with animals.  He truly is an animal lover. 

As I'm an anal planner, I have begun the planning of this trip.  I don't go through any travel agent.  I do it all.  When we traveled to Europe, I did EVERYTHING.  Lance compliments me but at the same time he complains that I tend to overbook us with constant activity, but there is just so much to see and do.
 
As a volunteer at Wildlife SOS, you live in a house off the sanctuary property and a car picks you up every morning and transports you to the sanctuary.  There is one sanctuary that is devoted to the bears and one for the elephants.  We will spend one day working with the bears and four days with the elephants.  It is a week long volunteer program consisting of five days of work and two days off.  Some of our volunteer activities include:

  • enrichment building
  • grass trimming
  • bathing/walking elephants
  • cleaning up enclosures
  • hammock building
  • preparing food, cutting up fruit
  • distributing porridge to the bears
  • plumbing/maintenance
  • leveling ground enclosure area
  • removal of weeds
  • fence cleaning
  • methodizing tools

Wildlife SOS is located near Agra, India which is a city south of New Delhi.  I also learned the Taj Mahal is in Agra so of course, we will visit one of the seven wonders of the world.
 
People have already made comments as to why would you want to go to an impoverished country? Though it is about the elephants, it is also an opportunity to experience and see such a vastly different country.  I am not some weak girl.  I love the adventure of doing something completely different.  Plus, I think the kids will never forget this experience.  I think its going to change who they are.
 
With all this said, I want to share a few pictures of the volunteer program....
























 
Traveling to India requires alot of preparation especially if you are taking a family of five.  Lance has been very supportive, but I'm also aware of his commitment to renovating the boat and the time and expense involved in that.  When I received my special bonus in the summer, Lance told me to spend it on myself.  I used it for the tickets.  When Lance asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I said, "whatever you were going to spend on a gift, just put the money into our 'Raju' fund", which I used for the tickets.  Lastly, I am selling back 100 hours of vacation to fund this trip.  The wonderful thing about my job is that we are allowed to sell back vacation---that's almost a month's salary.  You see?  When I want something, I am very motivated, and I want to be able to experience this with my family.
 
I love elephants. I love how beautiful and majestic and kind and forgiving and intelligent and loving and family oriented they are.....They are one of the most beautiful creatures that God has ever created and if we as a family can do something small to make a difference then it is so worth it.
 
To sum it up in one photo.....why I want to go to India?  Why?
 
It's because I want to be a part of this... 

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see pictures of YOU kissing an elephant! This will totally impact everyone's lives, I'm sure of it. Looks like the best kind of adventure.

    ReplyDelete