Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Weekend In Idaho


Family is everything.  I grew up with that value deeply instilled in me, and I live my life with my family as the focus.  Everything I do is with my family in mind.  I know it is difficult for Lance because his three children are spread out across the United States.  He has so many obligations with work, the boat, with the family we have here, his Texas friends, his local friends, and his children.  It becomes a challenge to try to fit it all in, but we do the best we can.


Our oldest daughter, Jessie, lives in Idaho.  She has an amazing blog that not only highlights her life but it also serves as a canvas for her photography talent.  The pictures on the blog showcased not only our adorable grandsons, but a picturesque Idaho.  It made me want to visit this state.  I saw her pictures on the blog, and I knew I had to see Idaho up close!  Don’t get me wrong.  We wouldn’t have gone to Idaho, no matter how beautiful, if Jessie did not live there.  We went ultimately to see her, Bron (our son in law), and Jed and Levi.

 
Idaho did not disappoint.  It left us with an insatiable appetite for more. 
 

We arrived on Lance’s birthday.  The trip was scheduled as a birthday present.  We landed in Salt Lake City, and before we took the three-hour commute to Idaho, I took Lance to the Lion Pantry for a celebratory lunch.  The food was SPECTACULAR.  It was served cafeteria style, and to me, cafeteria style is the next best thing to buffet.  I like options that I can personally cater to my individual taste. I am not a Mormon.  I don’t follow any organized religion.  However, I LOVE history.  If I had to choose between a tropical vacation or one that was filled with historic monuments and streets, I would always go for the history.  I chose the Lion Pantry for its historic significance....because it was Brigham Young’s house. We walked through the house and stood in front of the Beehive House.  It made us curious to learn more about Brigham Young and the state of Utah. 

Front of the Lion Pantry

Following the lunch, Lance and I drove to Idaho.  Jessie lives in the small town of Kimberly which is a few miles from the bigger town of Twin Falls.  Her house is beautiful and spacious. Her yard made us envious.  She lives in a neighborhood with neighbors nearby so it is not completely isolated, but yet, it is a drive to the nearest market and an even further drive into town where you can find the mainstream stores like Target, Costco, etc.  Upon arriving, we were welcomed with a juicy, tender steak dinner with peanut butter brownies for dessert.  Yum!!  We lit candles and sang Happy Birthday to Commander!  We all agreed that the grandkids would call Lance “commander” just as my kids currently do.  I guess I will be known as Grandma Liz even though Jed just captured my heart after I unbuckled his seatbelt when he said, “thank you, Pretty Lady.”  I just melted.  After dinner, Jessie took us to a Stricker Rock Creek Station, which was a trading post along the Oregon Trail.  I love the history. Anything historic, I’m eager to vist!

 

The following day, we visited Shoshane Falls, took the grandsons to a toy store, had lunch, and canoed and kayaked down the Snake River to Pillar Falls.  It was an incredible if not completely exhausting day.  Jessie and I took turns on the kayak.  What a workout and what a GORGEOUS view. I regretted not taking my kids on this trip because they would have loved it. Because of how active the day was, we spent the evening at home assembling Levi and Jed’s Lego toys. I have never seen a child (Jed) exude such excitment over  a toy.  He wouldn’t let go of the box, and when we went to lunch, he took the toy into the restaurant.  Jessie made us a delicious home cooked meal of fish tacos. 

 

Shoshane Falls

Snake River



Pillar Falls

what a cutie!

a selfie






Our last full day in Idaho was Sunday, and Bron and Jessie showed us Sawtooth National Forest or as the locals call it , the Southhills. We took a short hike to a waterfall before we drove even higher to have an even better view.  The day ended with dinner at Elevation 486, which is an upscale restaurant in Twin Falls with the most magnificent view of the canyon, Snake River, and the Perrine Bridge. After our scrumptious dinner, we took a stroll along the bridge. 

 

Our hike in the SouthHills


South Hills, Sawtooth National Park

the GORGEOUS View of the canyon from Elevation 486 restaurant
 
Snake River

Perrine Bridge

View from Perrine Bridge

Elevation 486 restaurant


I have seen so much beauty these last few weeks from Zion to Bryce Canyon to the Colorado River to Idaho.  I know I live in the middle of the chaos of city/suburban life so I tend to forget how incredibly serene and majestic America is….this country is gorgeous.  Jessie has to only drive 15 mins and she is in the middle of it all.  I envy the convenience of that.  

 

We loved every aspect of our trip, but more than anything, we loved spending time with Jessie, Bron, and the boys. 
 
Until next time, and hopefully, it is sooner than later. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment