Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Blue Gryphons

 

Blue Gryphons

I am so proud of Dylan.  He just turned 15 years old.  From the age of 9-13, he played regularly at the Fountain Valley Recreation Center.  When he first started, he was such a shy kid who lacked confidence. Each time he got the ball, he passed it.  It wasn't until his final year at the rec center did he blossom and become aggressive.  It wasn't because he lacked skill, but because he lacked confidence.  He was just as good as the other kids if not better, but he was so afraid to act.  Fear immobilized him.  I offered him a 25 dollar incentive.  I said, "If you play the last two games without any fear, I'll give you $25."  He did it. He conquered his fear.

Dylan LOVES basketball. We all do. When the NBA finals took place, it was our family ritual to sit in front of the TV screaming for our favorite teams.

Brandon joined the recreation center league a year ago.  This year, he played again.  Like Dylan, basketball is his favorite sport.  Lance and I came up with an idea of how cool it would be if Dylan got to coach Brandon.  You have to be 16 to coach, but I put in a special request, and because of Dylan and our family's involvement with the program over the years, they honored my request with the stipulation that Lance coach as well. Dylan would actually take over the practices and games, but his title would be assistant coach.  They needed an adult present.

The team is named the Blue Gryphons.  They practice two times a week with one game a week.  This is probably one of the best ideas I've ever come up with.  It brings Dylan and Brandon closer as brothers.  It brings the boys closer to Lance and vice versa.  It is giving Dylan a unique and wonderful opportunity to grow and develop leadership, mentoring, and coaching skills. 

Blue Gryphons
 
The Blue Gryphons had their first game today, and Lance and I were nervous!  I've seen my kids do so many different sports, and I never got nervous, but today, YIKES!!!  Lance even admitted to being really nervous before the game.  I was proud of Brandon because though he is still young in the league, he has taken a more dominant role as point guard.  I was so surprised and proud of Dylan.  He was walking up and down the courtside with his clipboard.  He was giving such encouragement and great advice to the kids. When the game was over, and there was the team talk, Dylan sounded so poised, confident, and well....he sounded just like a real coach.  He spoke to the kids while all the parents watched and listened.  He knows the game of basketball.  He is great with kids.  He has potential to do this long-term and just be AMAZING. 






I was worried because when he first had to call the parents up and introduce himself as coach, he was so nervous.  He wrote a script which he read from.  When we finally met the parents, they were surprised, but I think we have such a great team.  The parents are so supportive of Dylan being coach.  I told them Lance may not attend all games, but we would always have an adult present.

oh....and yes, we won the first game!! I'm proud of all my boys....Lance for doing this even with his busy schedule, Dylan for how much growth he has shown, and Brandon who keeps getting better.  I'm loving basketball, but I'm loving my boys even more.





No comments:

Post a Comment