Saturday, June 21, 2014

One of My All Time Favorite Places - The Zoo

One of the reasons why I love Southern California  - there is an abundant of things to do especially during the summer. 

I work an alternative work schedule, which means I have every other Friday off, and I am determined to do something with my kids on each of these days.  I'm rather spontaneous, and I do alot of things at the spur of the moment so while at work last Thursday, I decided to take the kids to the San Diego Zoo on Friday. Lance didn't go.  He spent his time working on Tide the Knott.  I purchased annual membership for me, Dylan, Brandon, and Mia. We use to be annual members years ago.  I simply love the zoo.  I love animals.  They are just such beautiful creations from God. I do have mixed feelings about wild animals being in captivity, but that is another story.

 

We took the train from OC to San Diego.  Lance picked us up and we ate a quick breakfast at Del Taco before he dropped us off at the zoo.  The kids behaved amazingly well.  I was dreading a day of constant bickering and complaints, but they were simply wonderful.  The zoo is huge, and there are a lot of steep inclines. We were all exhausted, but I hardly heard any complaints.

We saw everything, but for me, the highlights will always be the elephants and monkeys. They are my favorite animals.  We saw a monkey like the one in the film "Night of the Museum", and this little guy acted like he was on TV before.  He smiled for the crowds.  I am not joking. He smiled and showed us his teeth repeatedly.  He posed for pictures.  He had such personality!  We got an amazing close-up view of the lions.  Wow! Such strength and incredibly beauty!  I was mesmerized. 






All these photos were taken by me!

This is my monkey who was posing and smiling for us!


I have been to the San Diego zoo almost a dozen times, and not once have I seen a Panda Bear.  There is always a ridiculous line, and I never bothered to wait, but Mia insisted on seeing it and so why not?  The wait was only 30 mins, and it was so worth it.  We got to see the Panda Bear having bamboo for dinner. 



We were very eager to see the Tiger.  We saw so many advertisements for the Tiger trail...."see it, feel it, live it" so before we arrived, Dylan and Brandon were filled with excitement. Tigers are their favorite animal so wait for it.....wait for it...wait for it....In the words of my son, Dylan, "I barely saw it.  I didn't feel it. And I definitely didn't live it."  We were laughing so hard. We saw half of the tiger's head and one of its paws.  We also saw him from such a distance; he looked like a spec. Well, we are members and we will get an opportunity again.





We were so exhausted with all the walking so it was such a welcome treat to sit on the skyfari and ride and get such an amazing aerial view of the zoo and downtown San Diego city.  As zoo members, there is no additional charge for us.

Great view from the skyfari




Even though we are members now, kids will be kids, and they always want a souvenir.  I hate spending money on overpriced souvenirs, and I always try to put a limit on the amount.  I was happy when Brandon and Mia picked this long tube of flavored sugar which they filled themselves.  It was actually kind of fun, but before we left the park, the four of us devoured that sugar.  Yep, we sucked up all that sugar.  Dylan didn't get a tube of sugar, but just got a coffee like me, but both he and I are guilty of eating straight sugar.

Filling their candy sugar tubes



We will definitely be back before the summer is over. We will also go to this Wild Safari park, and ideally, before our membership expires, I would like to do a sleepover at the zoo.  They have these events throughout the summer and at other times in the year. I think that would be just an AMAZING experience, and it is on my bucket list!



No comments:

Post a Comment