Friday, May 31, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

Over last week's long Memorial Day weekend, Lance and I agreed that he would spend the four days off working on the boat.  My dad and brother were scheduled to visit, but the plans got cancelled at the last minute.  I wanted to be productive over the weekend so my long weekend project was to paint Mia's bedroom.  She chose a beautiful, soft lilac purple, and it accents beautifully with her pink bed and decor.  We took her to Home Depot where she picked the color and got to actually mix/make her own paint. She was super excited about that!  The kids spent the weekend at their dad so this was just a wonderful opportunity to take care of business.

Mixing her paint at Home Depot

Smiling and Happy (at Home Depot)

  

Mia's finished room

All Done!
Lance and I don't do very well too long apart.  One night apart is difficult; two nights apart is unbearable.  Our long weekend apart didn't quite last that long.  Lance convinced me to catch the train down on Sunday morning.  We had lunch in San Diego and justed lounged on the flybridge of Tide the Knott, watching the boats come in and out of San Diego harbor.  It was something our relationship needed.  We needed time alone.  We see each other all the time, but with kids, dogs, work, and all the other typical demands of life---its hard to have "romance". 

I arrived in San Diego on the Amtrak Train at 12:30 p.m.  Lance took me to lunch before we headed to Tide the Knott. 

I am just so impressed at Lance's capabilities.  The boat is progressing; it may be a slow progression but each step is an inch forward.  It amazes me how skilled he is.....the v-berth was incredibly filthy and dark.  I was scared to enter it because it was so dark. I was afraid that rats were in there.  Lance installed a complete electrical system and now, it is so brightly lit .  What was once such a dark frightening room was full o light.  He also did the plumbing, and the boat now has water.  He tore out the upstairs bathroom, and his next project is to completely rennovate the upstairs bathroom.  There was rotted wood throughout the boat, and he had to use his amazing carpentry skills to rebuild the walls, port holes etc.  What man is capable of doing all this? Electrical, carpentry, plumbing....and on top of that be brilliant in politics, computer software, strategic planning etc....

I truly think I'm the luckiest woman in the world.

2 comments:

  1. Dad's list of skills never ends! I'm excited to see the boat! And I love the color of Mia's room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad really is an impressive guy! I can't wait to see the boat this summer either! Glad you had a romantic getaway on it. Our relationship needs those too, except we call them dates. Mia has good color taste!

    ReplyDelete