Tuesday, August 11, 2015

2015 OC Fair 5k Run


Orange County, California.  This little county I live in is not so little.  It is the third most populous County in the State of California and the sixth most populous county in the nation.  In fact, it is more populous than 21 states. 

Every summer, like many other counties across the nation, we have our annual fair.  The fair is quite a spectacular event and takes place over a four-week period.  I always take the kids every year.  To coincide with the fair, the fair directors usually hold an annual 5k run.  For the first time and probably the last time, the kids and I participated.

 
at the start line

Inside the gigantic fairgrounds

Brandon, with his cast, uses Jayson as a chair before the race
 
It was a fun, family race where runners run through the fair with several ‘fun’ detours available along the course.  There are two games that runners can play – basketball and break the plate.  There is a giant slide runners can slide down.  There is also a brief stop at the Pacific Amphitheater where for a brief moment, runners get the experience of being on the stage.  Not every person chooses the detours. Some run for time, an option available to all.

Fair Characters During the Course

Mia about to play a game during the race detour

we ran by the animals near the roadeo stage

Cotton Candy

running down the ampitheater

Rocking it on stage
 
The kids and I did all the detours, and our time reflected that.  We completed the 5k race in over an hour.  I also won the basketball hoop and plate game.  Mia won the plate game.  It was a fun, cute event.  While running, I saw several friends.  One commented after seeing Brandon’s cast, “you are having him run with a cast?” My reply, “it’s just a 5k.”

This race is for families.  There were so many strollers and walkers on the course.   I am ashamed to admit that my arrogance left me annoyed.  I’m more of a competitive runner, and this event is just not suited for me.  The kids have inherited my competitiveness, and they shared the same sentiments, and that is why this will be our first and last time to run it.

Showing off our medals in front of this awesome sand statue

I brought my nephew who impresses me with his running potential.  He is 13 years old and averaged an 8:38 mile. He avoided all the detours except the slide, and because of the line, it must have added at least 3 or 4 minutes to his time. 

We did receive free fair tickets so this Friday, we will be spending the day eating junk, playing games, looking at exhibits, and riding rides. 

Mia showing off her and my prizes that we won during the race.

BLING!!!  All done and ready to eat a yummy breakfast at Dennys
 

1 comment:

  1. Those sand sculptures are amazing! You look good, Liz. I'm very impressed how you encourage and inspire your kids to be healthy and active. I hope I can do the same for mine!

    ReplyDelete