Monday, February 16, 2015

My 10-Year Old Boy


It is a big deal when your baby hits the double digits.  Brandon turned 10 on Valentines’ Day.  It is so easy to remember his birthday not only because of the holiday it falls on, but also because he popped out at exactly 12 noon.  He was my easiest childbirth, but frankly, that is about it.  Brandon is a very demanding, difficult to please, highly-intelligent, incredibly sensitive and an annoying perfectionist. When I talk about how demanding and difficult to please he is, it is mainly with himself.   He gets frustrated easily because he wants things perfect. We worked on a Valentines’ box for a school project in which he made a jet engine.  I thought he was going to have a meltdown when the aluminum foil wouldn’t fold smoothly.  Really?

Regardless of how irksome he can be, I love him more than anything.  I love that he still allows me to hug on him and kiss him in private.  I love that he likes to play the snake game where I trap him like a giant anaconda and he tries to escape. 

Brandon is in boyscout with his cousin Maddox and Uncle Mike.  We actually have it made.  He was in boyscout a few years ago, but with the time commitment involved and all the other activities, we had to quit because it was impossible to do all of it.  A couple of years passed, and my sister asked if Brandon could rejoin because Uncle Mike was now the den leader.  They would take him to the meetings so there would be limited time involvement/commitment for us.  Brandon enjoys boyscout, and he was able to lead his troop in the pledge of allegiance and flag salute at the Fountain Valley High School Baseball opening ceremony.  I’m not surprised at how well he did.  He wasn’t nervous.  He was confident, articulate, clear, and loud.  He is an amazing public speaker.  He held that microphone and was so poised.  I’ve seen him speak in front of his class, and I have been trying to encourage him to run for school council, but he doesn’t want to.  

Brandon and his cousin Maddox



 
Brandon is playing basketball again, and what an amazing player.  He has skills and brains, and in my opinion, is one of the best, if not best player in his division.  His team, however, is not doing as well.  They have only won one game.  As a family, we are enjoying the bonding time basketball gives us.  I like watching Brandon play because he knows how good he is....he knows how much the team depends on him, but yet, he doesn't carry a big ego about it.  He treats his teammates as valuable players on the team.  He is not a star. He is just another player.  He doesn't take every shot.  He doesn't hog the ball. He doesn't get angry when his teammates make mistakes.  He supports and encourages every team member .  He has such strong leadership skills.  He is confident.  He can be aggressive when need be.  He is smart, smart, smart! He is articulate.  He is wise, but he is also kind and giving.  He leads.  He doesn’t bully.  It would be so easy for him to take on a star role, but Brandon doesn’t need the spotlight.  He genuinely cares about everyone.  He is fair, just, and equitable.  He doesn’t treat those who are less skilled or less smart any differently.   There is such kindness in his heart (except with his sister). 




I hate this picture. I look like a fat cow, but it is one of the few pictures that the entire team is looking at the camera. 


I am proud of him, and I’m so anxious and excited to see him grow up and accomplish BIG things.  I love you Brandon.  Happy 10th Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment