Friday, May 30, 2014

OC Half Marathon 2014


 
 
I know this is a month overdue, but I realized I never posted anything about the OC Half Marathon race on Sunday, May 4.  Dylan and I ran the 13.1 miles with a group of friends.  Well, we didn’t run together, but we started the race together.  I love that Dylan is becoming one of us.  My friends are starting to get to know him, and he is getting more adult social interaction.  It’s great.
 
We started the race late.  I have a serious bathroom problem before every race.  It is nerves, but I just have to completely empty out my system.  Plus, I have Crohn's disease so it helps me to run completely empty.  TMI? The port-o-potties ran out of toilet paper, which is not a good thing so we walked to the Marriott to use their very clean and well maintained facilities.  Our friend Patty decided to stop by the Starbucks in the hotel to get a coffee.  This makes me laugh. Seriously, she gets her coffee and is walking to the start line, sipping and holding it.  The race has already started.  This is the same girl who goes shopping at CVS during a race.  I absolutely love her.  Hilarious.
 


Before the race (minus GG who ran the full)

Carb load dinner selfie.  I made the group sit in the bar so I could watch the OKC game. 

Dylan has not been running since cross country season ended so I did not expect him to do well.  Just as I passed mile 12, my phone rings.  To a runner, this is probably one of my most annoying pet peeves.  DO NOT CALL ME in a race!  I answer the phone, and it is Dylan.  “Mommy, where are you???”  I’m huffing and puffing when I answer, “I’m running.  I just past mile 12.  Why?”  He answers, “Well, I’m done, and I’m waiting.”  I answer with my laborious breathing, “well, you’re just going to have to wait!”  How demoralizing is that? Honestly though, I was very proud of Dylan.

I want him to do the LA Marathon for its 30th anniversary in 2015.  I’m already trying to convince him to do this, but he hasn’t committed yet.  I’m pretty sure I’ll get what I want though! Running races is not cheap.  The registration fees add up and when you consider if there is a hotel needed....well, it can get costly so I'm trying to be more economical and selective.  It is very challenging.  I want to do EVERYTHING, and I have to have an internal dialogue with myself.
 
So I have the kids and I registered for two 5ks this summer.  I have 5 upcoming half marathons that I'm already registered for, and Dylan and I are doing the Ragnar Las Vegas.  This may seem excessive, but then it really isn't because there were about 5 other races that I wanted to do, but I did not sign up for....so I did slow down. 
 
What can I say? This is my hobby, and there are worst things I could be spending my money on. It is my one indulgence.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment