Thursday, October 10, 2013

San Marcos Academy Reunion 2013

I am an Army brat.  I went to a multitude of schools including three high schools.  I never had the same friends.  I will never know what it is like to know someone since I was a child.  I don’t feel any regrets, because travelling may have been a hobgoblin existence, but it also allowed me to see and experience more.  Lance’s childhood was the opposite. He attended a boarding school in San Marcos, Texas for four years, which resulted in incredibly intimate and unique bonds with his classmates.  Lance would attempt to describe the experience with the preface that outsiders cannot grasp the extent of this bond because they don’t know what it was like to be in a boarding school.  You develop a brotherhood and sisterhood with your classmates.  They become your family.
 
There is a yearly weekend reunion at San Marcos Academy in October.  The class rents out an entire lodge and spends the weekend reminiscing about old times, catching up on everyone’s life, drinking alcohol (lots of it), laughing, playing games, and eating (lots of it).  A lot of preparation goes into this weekend.  When you stay in the lodge, the beds in each room are adorned with goodies for everyone.  The extravagant meals are catered.  On Saturday, they have a night of bingo and dinner in the pool area, and it is decorated with school colors and candles are elegantly lit around the pool.  Lance’s classmate Patty does all of this, and I am just in awe by all her work, preparation, and organization.

Mountainview Lodge - what a beautiful view!
This is the second time that I have attended the reunion.  The first year I attended was the year Lance and I got married.  I wanted to attend because I wanted to meet all of his friends and most importantly, I wanted to meet his sister, Susan.  My first time at the reunion was awkward.  I felt like an outsider infiltrating a very tightly knit group.  I felt an unenthusiastic response to our marraige.  This time, however, the reception was completely contrary.  I felt so welcomed and embraced.   I guess people had to get used to the idea of “us”.  They were so used to Lance being single; the idea of him not was something they had to get accustomed too.   I don’t know.  What I do know though that this is a great group of people who are full of fun, life, and energy. 
 
The common theme that was reiterated by all was how unique and close this group was and is….”they are a family”…..every time someone engaged me in a conversation, I repeatedly heard that this group was a family. They do share a wonderful bond that makes me envious.

Though Lance was preoccupied with reuniting with all his friends, this was also a time devoted to focusing on “us”.  We stayed in the most intimate and romantic little cabin.  A nice change of scenary, no kids, no dogs….just us two…it was something we both needed.  We reconnected as a couple.

the cottage and the rental car



 
 


It was blistering hot the first few days we were there before a cold front came in.  I am just not use to that kind of humidity and heat, but once the cold front came, I was able to go for a jog for the first time. Texas is beautiful.  I loved the run, and what was a special treat was that a pack of deers ran in front of me.  You don’t see that in California!
 
the beautiful surrounding




I enjoyed every aspect of this trip, but the highlight for me was and is Susan Wade.  I adore Lance’s sister.  She was not planning to attend and changed her mind a few weeks before.  She loves Lance so much, and it shows.  I love talking to her.  I feel like she understands me.  I feel like she understands Lance.  I can’t say this about too many people.  I feel an instant connection with her.  I wish she lived closer.  I love her dearly.  I cannot say enough how special she is to me.

Lance, Susan, and I



 
Lance’s best friends, Keith (his vacation wife), Mike, and Paul were all there.  Lance goes on an annual hunting trips with all these guys.  They are all wonderful.  Paul was extremely sweet with his concern for me.  He was so warm and welcoming and he reached out to me to make sure I was feeling comfortable and happy.  It was the sweetest gesture.  I feel an instant warmth from him. Mike brought his wife, Colleen, for the first time.  She is quiet.  Her and Mike have a wonderful marriage; a marriage that just leaves me in awe.  They have been married for over 30 years and together even longer, but you wouldn’t know it because they are as affectionate, romantic, and loving as newlyweds.  It is obvious how in love they are, and it just left my heart warm. 
The Tedfords, Lance with Brandy and Mike, and me with Lance's vacation wife, Keith

Keith and Lance

San Marcos Academy Graduates

I've been communicating with Veronica on Facebook since I met her at the reunion two years ago.  She is incredibly friendly and sweet, and we spent the day at the Market in Wimberly.

Funny Picture.  It looks like Lance and Cindy are married, and Keith and I are a couple.  Cindy is the girl that Lance first kissed! 

Getting a big, warm hug from Paul.  He is very very easy to love.


Keith, Lance, and Fred.  Fred lives in L.A. and works out.  Can you tell?

Susan, Paige, and me...

Veronica and me....I think Veronica is gorgeous.


All the wonderful ladies at this reunion were incredibly funny and kind.  They were concerned they were too wild and out there for me, but they don’t know how crazy I am.  I have no inhibitions.  Lance is often afraid of what I will say or do. 
 
There was an open market on Saturday that I attended with Susan, Colleen, and Veronica (a wonderful lady who is Lance's classmate).  The market sold a variety of goods, but the heat was too unbearable for us to endure more than an hour outside. We left shortly after we arrived.

Lance often told me that Mike Tedford was his saving grace because his first year at San Marcos was a bit challenging as he was getting accustomed to transitioning to a boarding school.  Mike was older than him, and he looked up to Mike and wanted to be like Mike.  40 years later, I think that is pretty good goal to have….I want to be like Colleen and Mike.

Be Like Mike!!  They could be brothers since they both have that f-uped looking ear!

I will close with one final note.  One of Lance’s classmate pulled me aside after I was introduced to her and she said in a very serious yet complimentary tone.  “Liz, I just want you to know that you got the BEST man there.  He is the most good hearted….most sincere…most kindest….he is the BEST man ….”  She emphasized the word BEST.



 

Sometimes I do feel like I have the best man.  Other times, I want to kick his a**, and I guess that is normal.  Right now, I feel like I do have the best man, but I also want to kick his a** at the same time.

I am excited to get to know everyone better. I intend to go to more reunions. 

3 comments:

  1. I love that last picture of you two! Susan looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I cried like a girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Elizabeth for your kind warm words. I think I speak for everyone to THANK YOU for coming with Lance this year. We hope you both will be there next year!! ❤

    ReplyDelete