Monday, October 14, 2013

Buddy Wade Update


If you know Lance and I, you know that we love our dogs deeply.  Buddy had surgery last week to repair his leg.  We dropped him off on Wednesday evening so the doctors could do the pre-op work.  He was very anxious and nervous when we dropped him off, because he was panting the entire time.  He pants when he is scared and nervous.  It reminded me of the first few days after we adopted him.  He would pant, and we had to give him Benadryl to calm down.  I cried when we dropped him off, and Lance was also emotional.  Buddy stayed at the VCA hospital in Fountain Valley for two days, and our house felt different without him. 

The surgery was early Thursday  morning, and Lance and I went to work completely anxious to hear about how our boy was doing.  We got a call shortly after 12 noon advising us that the surgery was a success.  He has metal pins etc in his leg now.  We were given permission to visit him that evening though we could not yet take him home.

Lance and I went to see Buddy after work on Thursday, and it was hard.  He was so drugged up with pain medicine, and he looked depressed.  His nose was bleeding, which we are certain is due to the fact that he probably was trying to get out of the hospital kennel on his first night. 



Day of surgery- we visited Buddy and he looked terrible, but when his daddy arrived and opened the kennel to sit with him, Buddy was able to lay down and relax.




 
Lance will deny this, but I know what I saw.  He had tears in his eyes when we visited Buddy.  I love these dogs so deeply, but I’m not as connected to them as Lance is…..I believe dogs have spirits because no two are alike.  My Blackie was my dog, and I still cannot talk about her without getting emotional.  Well, the relationship I had with Blackie is what Lance has with Buddy and Bella.  I’m not going to even attempt to explain this, but those who have felt the bond/connection with a dog will know.  As much as Lance is good for these dogs, these dogs are just as good for Lance.  I won’t even bother explaining that either.

Buddy came home on Friday morning.  He was weak, groggy, but very happy to be home.  As soon as he arrived home, the panting ceased.  We moved his twin bed downstairs, and Lance has been sleeping with Buddy.  The first night was difficult as Buddy cried in pain all night.  He has about 7 different medications that we have to administer at different times.  He is slowly getting better, and it helps that he has Daddy with him.  He has about four follow-up appointments and his activity needs to be limited.

Buddy at home with his big cast on his twin bed.
 
I was so impressed with the VCA hospital.  It really is a functioning hospital for animals.  They have an ICU unit, a pharmacy, an operating room etc.  There are dozens of nurses and doctors.  What makes it even more convenient is that it is about a quarter mile from our house.

It is the simple things in life that have the most beauty—a man’s best friend is his dog, and if you could see how much these dogs love Lance and vice versa…the bond is truly beautiful. 

1 comment:

  1. Poor Buddy! How terrifying the whole ordeal must have been for him: pain and a strange place. Glad he is home now and healing with his best friend.

    ReplyDelete