Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Memorial Day Weekend 2016

The only life I have right now revolves around softball.  I try to juggle and squeeze in previous commitments I had made, but it becomes a very daunting task.  Softball has absorbed our family life.  My weekends are normally occupied with house cleaning and errands, but now, it becomes a real struggle to just try to find the time to fit those simple, routine tasks into the schedule.


Mia completed in a Memorial Day all-star tournament.  She basically had games on Saturday, Sunday, and even on Memorial Day.  I love her team.  She is on a really good team with great teammates and such encouraging and supportive parents.  Mia has not been able to hit.  She has been struggling, and it’s almost painful to watch, but finally, at this tournament, she was able to make two successful bunts.  Several parents came up to congratulate me and share in this excitement.


  


Lance came home Sunday night.  Frankly, it is hard for both of us to be apart for more than two nights.  Three nights?  It just isn’t going to happen. We both suffer. We don’t sleep well. 

Lance and I woke up at 5 a.m. on Memorial Day for the Laguna Hills Memorial Day Half Marathon.  I was running while Lance was my support and enjoyed the finish line festivities.  This is the most meaningful race I have ever done, because it benefits the military, but also, because it is what the title says….a Memorial Day race.  When I crossed the finish line, we walked around briefly, and I saw all the photos of the men who gave the ultimate sacrifice.  I stood there quietly gazing up on their young faces. These men were 19 to 27 years old.  I just started to cry, and I felt an ache in my heart.  Lance told me that he too had tears in his eyes.  It was just hard, very hard.  I feel so grateful to our military and to their families. 




The half marathon was incredibly hill. My time was 2:22.  Yes, I was slow.  I have not been running.  I think I have run three times (all less than 6 miles) in the last month.   After the race, we headed to Anaheim Hills for Mia’s championship game.  While driving there, we entered a neighborhood for the wealthy.  We saw houses with private tennis courts and basketball courts. 






Mia’s team, Fountain Valley Pride, lost in the championship game.  However, they did receive second place trophies.  I’m really happy that she is given this opportunity.  It is very draining on the family, but it is a real special experience, which I am grateful for.  Next weekend, we travel to Carlsbad for another tournament. Yes, the team has a block of hotel rooms.  Somehow, in the middle of all this softball, I have to get myself down to San Diego for the Rock and Roll Half Marathon.  With very complicated coordination, I’m going to be able to do it all.






In the evening, we had a wonderful dinner.  Lance set the table and prepared everything. There was candles.  He can so be so incredibly sweet.  We sat at the table and said our prayers, again thanking God and our military men/women for their selfless service. 

The night ended with us watching Game 7 of the Western NBA finals.  My OKC Thunder team lost, and I was very sad.  I get so wound up with these basketball games.  I don’t know why, but I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment