Monday, December 16, 2013

Christmas Traditions


Christmas is approaching and as a newly-formed family of just under three years old, we are beginning to develop our own traditions.  It is the second year that we participated in the Cruise of Lights.  Last year, we cruised Huntington Harbor, and it was a wonderful experience to see all the houses of the immensely wealthy decorated in the Christmas spirit.  I thought we would try Newport Beach this year, and I expected an even more spectacular display.  I was surprisingly disappointed. 

It was the 105th Annual Cruise of Lights in Newport Beach Bay, and there were a few houses that went all out, but generally, the lights were not that impressive.  Regardless, it was nice being on the water, sipping our hot chocolate and nibbling on buttered popcorn.  We rode in our car on the ferry over to Balboa Island.  It was the first time that the kids and I ever did that.  I liked driving through the little streets in Newport Bay.  It was very quaint, and Dylan commented it sort of reminded him of the film, “It’s a Wonderful Life.”  Yes, last weekend, we all watched the classic film.  It was Mia’s first black and white film.  The boys had already seen the Billy Wilder classic, “Some Like it Hot”.  I love “It’s a  Wonderful Life.”  It is, in my opinion, the best Christmas movie.
 
in the spirit of Christmas with her little Santa hat and cup of hot chocolate

the yacht that took us on our cruise.
 
Our yacht, The Ocean Explorer, played Christmas tunes as we sailed slowly around the bay.  We all agreed that next year, we will return back to Huntington Harbor.  The houses in Huntington Harbor are twice as big, and the lights are animated.  It is amazing.







 
 

John Wayne's old yacht now owned by Hornblower


 

the ferry dock
 

Every year, I take the kids to see Santa.  We always go see the “real” Santa.  I look in the local newspapers to find out where he is going to be, and we make sure we see him.  Mia got all dressed up and even wore multi-colored bracelets.  Brandon wore a button collared shirt, which is dressing up for him.  Brandon asked Santa for the Xbox One.  I don’t think that is going to happen.  MIa's Christmas wish list changes by the second.  Who knows what she asked Santa for?









 


One of our other traditions is the annual family photo Christmas card.  Actually, this is something I’ve done since I was single in my early 20s.  The dynamics of the photos have changed over the years.  Initially, it always included my sister and I with our dogs.  I think I’m going to try to dig up all the years of Christmas cards and put them in chronological order.  Each year, we try to do something different, and this year, we all wore NBA jerseys (yes, even Bella and Buddy).  It is a tremendous CHALLENGE to get a photo with three kids and two dogs.  Actually, it is the dogs that are difficult, but Lance refuses to have a card without the dogs.  10 mins of taking photos makes me sweat profusely…I’m happy with the end result though.

 
 
I love Christmas.  It is my absolute favorite holiday, and we always go all out!  This year, I discovered online shopping! Wow! I think I'll do this every year.  It is inexpensive, easy and hassle free!

No comments:

Post a Comment